Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Wednesday's Tale is Full of Woe

 


Today, as the news sinks in, it is truly a tale of woe.

Not for me, personally.  As far as my life goes, I have good health, a loving family, an open and friendly church, theatre if I want to participate, affectionate pets, and plenty of books and streaming apps.  Besides, at least for this immediate ruling, I guess I am part of the dominant patriarchy that this ruling favors.

But for this country - this is not very good news.  I probably should wait for a Saturday Political Soap Box for this, but some things are just too urgent.  So, for those who like my stuff, as long as I don't get too political - too bad, so sad.

My own position has been that I don't like abortion.  I have an early definition of the conception of life - once the DNA is zipped, a unique, one-of-kind entity is formed. This is worth protecting and cherishing.  This is my PERSONAL belief.  It has nothing to do with what I want to impose on other people.

An important fiat to my opinion - I'm a MAN, not a WOMAN.  

It does no good to criminalize or interfere with the decisions made between a woman and her doctor.  No one other than those two has any business in being involved.

Going hard at outlawing abortion does absolutely nothing to make it more rare.  It will continue.  Rich women will seek out states (or countries) where it is permitted. Poor women will find illegal and dangerous methods, maiming or killing both the unborn and the woman.  Yes.  Like everything in America, the poor and women of color will bear its brunt.

It is proven over and over again.  States where abortion is permitted. BUT have greater access to contraception, sex education, and support for mothers and children, see their abortion rates drop dramatically.  States and countries that restrict abortion and do not support young mothers see their abortions stay the same or climb.

It's almost like we've forgotten what being a Christian means.  Kindness, generosity, and support do a hundred times more than force, brutality, and hate.  Jesus says nothing about abortion (nor an even bigger problem of his time - infanticide).  But we know what he preached - love.  

I tell you this not as a pro-choice fanatic who wants to see abortion occurring as a primary form of birth control.  It is not a casual thing.  But it is not my decision to make.  Pro-life, as conducted by the far right in this country, isn't really about life - it's about control of women.  It's about putting them in their place.  It's about pro-birth, even at the cost of life and reason.  These same people are most often the ones who advocate capital punishment, guns unrestricted and everywhere, fossil fuels over renewables, oppose any human infrastructures spending (like health care and child care), oppose increases in the minimum wage, want to suppress the vote, rail against immigration - how is any of this pro-life?

I choose to reflect my opposition to abortion by making circumstances BETTER rather than worse.  The power of the sun and light is infinitely stronger than the power of the dark and hate.  I thought every person of faith knew this.  I guess I am wrong.

The destruction of the right to privacy (which, as currently worded, this opinion will do) will not stop at abortion.  Other rights we have taken for granted could be taken away under this theory - access to contraception, interracial marriage, same-sex marriage, and so much more.  Outlawing abortion is only the tip of the crapberg headed our way.

Those of you who have wished for this - important words of warning; be careful what you wish for.  This will not work out the way you think it will.

You are in for the biggest surprise of your life.

Backlash is a two-way street.




No comments:

Post a Comment