Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A Cold Without Snow

 




It happens all the time.

The temperature suddenly drops, and all my Southeast Georgian friends are all a-twitterpated. Oh, no! It's below freezing! What are we gonna do? We're not made for this! Does the Piggly Wiggly still have bread and milk?

But you know what it doesn't do?

SNOW!

We don't get snow. We might get something significant once or twice a decade. Maybe.

It's something to do with how the Arctic air drops down to us - cold and dry. Then, when that passes, and it warms up to the 50s, or so, then it will start to rain.


Sometimes, we'll get what I call "frost on the pumpkins," a frost-like coating on the grass that will last until the sun evaporates it. Ungaraged cars may need to be idled for a while to defrost.


Growing up in Michigan, I was no stranger to Winter and snow. Sometimes, we had snow drifts so big we could walk onto the roof of our house, 

I moved to the South in 1978. Even living in North Georgia until 1997, I missed the snow and the seasons.

That has changed. I no longer long for the long, cold winters. One of the best things about it was that the snow would make people stay home once in a while, and you didn't have to go to school. Now I'm retired and that don't work anymore.

It took forever to change, but I no longer have the tolerance for the cold that I used to have. I spend the cold days inside wearing a thick University of Michigan sweater. 

I wouldn't mind seeing snow every now and then. I feel like it's fairly useless to have freezing temperatures and no snow. Seems like such a waste.

I might finally be transitioning into a true Southerner. First, the food. Then, the weather.

And then I remember the politics here.

Nope. That ain't gonna happen.









No comments:

Post a Comment