Monday, January 29, 2024

Standing on the Outside


I'd like to officially announce that my bid to be on the local library board was a bust. They chose instead a teacher, so I'm hoping that is a good sign for the local library. Not all teachers are enthusiastic about the library. Most believe that banning books and excluding serving all patrons is wrong, but it's not universal. 

 The Pierce County School Board has withheld its share of public library funding. Hopefully, that is temporary, but I fear that it is not. Meanwhile, the public library has had to reduce hours and staffing to stay within its reduced budget. 

It breaks my heart. Some dedicated workers need to see promotions and pay raises, not reductions.

There is absolutely nothing specific that the library has done. For better or worse, they've never had displays welcoming the LGBTQ+ community, nor is there anything offensive in their book collection. The people who oppose the library use the LGBTQ+, particularly the transgender community, as smoke screens for their real desires - to eliminate public spaces and to take control of them as mouthpieces for Christian Nationalism.

The LGBTQ+ community is not trying to indoctrinate anyone, but they sure as heck are.

Rest assured, I will not stop advocating for the public library. I will continue to support them every day I can. I will continue to use the library, participate in activities, including book clubs, their Eating Well program, Friens of the Library, reading at Storytime, donating books, volunteering for events, helping donate prizes. I will speak out whenever I can. I will continue to welcome everyone, even those intent on destroying the library.

Libraries are for Everyone.

I don't want that to just be a slogan.

I want it to be the accepted reality.

Join me in supporting the library. Become a user and enjoy the many benefits of participation. Speak out about your love for the library. Join me in opposing those who would destroy it.


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your efforts here & elsewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are many of us who are doing our best to keep the libraries open and serving everyone.

      Delete