I'm going to have to do this one slightly differently. My sources are Blackshear Times columns found at the library. Sometimes, the columns are on the crease of the paper, and you can't flatten the volume enough to see all the words. So, for this one, I'm going to need to retype the first column of print. I'm going to have to intuit some of the missing words, so if I get it wrong, it's clearly my fault.
We're Nominated for Parents of the Year
Johnny and I should be getting our nominations for the "Parents of the Year" award any day now, thanks to our actions at the time of the accident.
What accident? For the one that put Alison's arm in a cast, up past her elbow, of course.
The one that happened because she didn't tie her shoelace, which got caught in her bike pedal and landed her on the pavement.
Yes, we're sure winners for the award, because of our cool-headed control over the whole situation.
How much more cool-headed can you be than we were- we didn't believe anything was wrong with her until she started crying in the middle of the night.
So, as a result, her arm wasn't set until the next day.
And now, we return to normal transmission -
Well, Alison was not alone. I received a similar injury around the same age as Alison, maybe a little younger; a kid pushed me out of our garage window. This may have been all of a whopping three feet off the ground, but I instinctively braced myself with my arm. This turned out to be a very bad plan.
I was outside, screaming in pain. My parents, both inside the house, just thought, "Well, there's Tom, screaming his head off over nothing again!" That is, until my Dad happened to glance outside and see my arm dangling at the point halfway between my wrist and elbow.
My broken arm was not as easy to dismiss as Alison's, so I did get taken to the hospital fairly quickly. So, Alison and I can bond over our childhood broken arms.
If you think that's an interesting coincidence, wait until you hear about our son, Benjamin!

No comments:
Post a Comment