Monday, August 24, 2015

A Genie of a Weekend and Other Monday Musings

Emily Beck, Marin Jeffords and Christopher Kuhbander  (all standing) - three of the fine young thespians featured in Flying Dragon Art Center's recent performance of Aladdin.




I attended a performance of Aladdin at the Flying Dragon Arts Center Saturday afternoon, and was impressed by the show, the acting, the set, the singing, and am proud of the important contribution the Flying Dragon makes to our youth, and to the artistic culture of our community.

Emily Beck did an outstanding job as the Genie, bringing wit, energy and modern quips to her performance.  But there is little sitting on her laurels for Emily.  She is next starring as Anne Frank in Purlie Production's The Diary of Anne Frank at the Okefenokee Heritage Center in late September.

I am very much look forward to working with Emily, and am privileged to play the role of her father, Otto Frank.  This is an all-star cast, and includes such gifted talents as Kimberly Beck (Emily's mother), and my good friend, Julianna Lacefield,.  One of the area's finest character actors, Jody Rollins is in it, as well as Chris Jeffords, the founder and executive director of the Flying Dragon.

----------------------------------------------

I mowed the lawn Saturday, after several weeks of growth and probably stretching the boundaries of what area neighbors will tolerate.  I had recently lost some weight again, put on the wrong shorts, and had them fall to my knees at one point.  I made the mistake of mentioning this on Facebook, because inevitably, when I say something about weight loss, that means my weight will creep back up again.  I overcompensated with eating this weekend, thinking my increased level of activity would hold it in check, and sadly, I guessed wrong.  Back to the drawing board.  


---------------------------------


I saw no movies this weekend, not even on the home TV machine.  I would like to get out and see The Man From U.N.C.L.E., but I haven't figured out how to make the time to do it.  And although the reviews have been more positive than negative, the trailers I have seen make it all seem too cool for school, as if it's Ocean's Eleven or a caper movie rather than an espionage film on par with James Bond.  My indecision probably means I won't see it in the theaters.  And starting this Friday, at least one of the screens will be taken over, probably for the next two to three months, by War Room, the latest Christian Right movie. There are no reviews in yet for this movie, so who knows?  It may be a cut above previous efforts.

--------------------------------------------

I am editing Crowley Stories: Swamp's Edge, not the kind of writing I like to do best.  I alternate between being how fascinated how good my little mud pies are, to being stunned at some of the mistakes that I made.  Soon, it will be time to blank or get off the pot.  I will have two completed novels I am sitting on, frozen in indecision as to where to take them next.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait






No comments:

Post a Comment