Sunday, August 9, 2015

One Last Spin Part 2

4


Franny leaving was not the only ending at the Honey Dew.  The Honey Dew Lunch Bunch was now essentially gone.  Rondy Strickland was dead, murdered by Digger Crowley in a delusional attempt to impress his father and take control of the family fortune.  Gariton Hollander wanted nothing more to do with them.  Houston Graves, Jr. (House) was far too busy trying to get the Compton Park Development Project back on course, and trying to convince his father, Houston Graves, Sr. to just sell the CPA firm rather than concede control to Gariton.  That left Andy Caldwell, the State Farm agent and brother of the mayor, and Tony Delco, the son of Daddy Delco and brother to Christie.

Sometimes the two of them sat together at lunch, but two hardly a bunch make, now does it?


5


On March 15th, 2014, the Crowley Baptist Village Retirement Center celebrated the birthday of their oldest resident, Mattie Goodkind, who turned 103.  Franny was there to celebrate her great-grandmother’s birthday, and she was accompanied by her boyfriend, Adam Garnett. 

Mattie was her usual surly self.  There was no Pogo cake, nor any other cake, per Mattie’s insistence.  If they could have made the cake out of Skoal’s , she might have reconsidered.

Two years to go and she could be beat Sarah Rachel Crowley Franks Steel Compton’s record of 105 years (to the day).  And she was just mean enough to do it.

6

“Just give it up, Bobby Ray.  We’re never getting back together,” Racine said, with an unshakable firmness.

“No, of course not, Race”, assured Bobby Ray.  “I do hope, since we’re going to the same school next fall, that we could be friends.  There’s no reason for us not to be, is there?”

“Sure, Bobby Ray.  I would like that.  Even if I don’t want us to ever be what we were before,  I do like you and value your friendship.”

“I am so glad to hear that!  I’ll be there for whatever help you need, or if you ever just want to talk,” answered Bobby Ray, giving her a big smile.

“Thank you, Bobby Ray,” Racine said, genuinely touched.  Maybe Bobby Ray was becoming more mature.

She opened her arms, and he came in for a hug.  It was warm and wonderful, really a delight to be in his arms again.  His face was at her shoulder, and then he bent in and gave a grazing kiss to her neck.  And then he was kissing her on the mouth.  She meant to pull away, but she gave in for a moment.  Then she snapped out of it, and pushed him away.

“Bobby Ray!” she admonished.  “Now you know that’s not how it’s going to be!”

“I know, Race,” a chastened Bobby Ray said.  “ I’ll get it together, I promise.  Really, I know how it’s going to be.”

And he did.  Much better than Racine did.


7


Edna Denison was grateful.  She was grateful to Sheriff Alan Steel for not arresting Dabs when he could have, but instead went way out of his way to get all the help he could get him.  She was grateful to Congressman Stan Winston in helping fast track his veterans benefits.  She was grateful to legal Secretary Ramona Adams for her assistance in cutting through the red tape, and helping deal with the bureaucracy.

Things weren’t perfect.  Dabs still got the night sweats, still had periods of catatonic withdrawal.  Something still haunted him, but at least he know had people to talk to, and the family had financial support through Disability payments, and insurance through Tricare.

She was not particularly grateful for people like Dotty Mathers, who praised the troops out of one side of her mouth, and tried to take away their benefits from the other side.  She was not particularly grateful to Pastor Dan, whose sharp brand of religion seemed to frighten Dabs and her family more than help. 

But those were exceptions.  Most people were very supportive, and it was having a positive effect on her family.  Dabs was more comfortable playing with the boys, at least for short periods, and there was talk of working again if he stabilized.  A life on disability was not something he hoped for.  He wanted to be a contributing member of society.

And when he said things like that, it was hard for her to grasp.  Hadn’t he already contributed?  Hadn’t he already given enough?  But she understood, the dignity that Dabs was striving for.  He was going to get the help he needed to restabilize, and then he was going to give back to those who helped him. 

Dabs was a good man.  And that would always be true, whether he pulled out of this or not (and she was betting on him to).  She loved him, and her heart ached for the best for him, each and every day.


8


Thomas Cooper called into her office.  That was rare, and she wasn’t quite sure what was going on.

“I’m struggling, Ramona.  You have to know that.  I have to decide where to take the firm, and I’m really sure what to do.  I’m older now, and I don’t think I want to do this forever.”  Thomas was 61, not the youngest tool in the shed, but he had kept in good shape and still had a brilliant and quick mind.  “So I have to think about how the firm continues.”  That was why he had brought in Rondy, a somewhat immature but talented attorney that could be groomed to take over more and responsibility in the firm.  But now Rondy was dead, and his plans lay in ruins.

“I am looking for another partner, someone with experience who could help me here.  It could be someone who is operating on their own, or someone at a bigger firm who wants to break away.”

Ramona nodded, still not quite sure why she was called in.  “I know some attorneys from my, uh, group, you know, my social strata in the area.  Uh, you know, male white attorneys from the prominent families in the area.  But I’m thinking about reaching out beyond that.  Offer services to a wider range of people, you know, like Dabs, and people like him.  Regular folk who’ve got their back up against it.”

“Can we afford to do that?  Sometimes those folks don’t pay so good,” Ramona worried aloud.

“I’ve made a lot of money in my day, and I have family money to boot.  I think we’ll be perfectly fine.  Could I be richer?  Could I be like Daddy Delco or Reggie Crowley?  Technically, yes, but in reality, I don’t think so.  I don’t think I have it in me to behave like that.”

“No, I’m thinking of something else,” Mr. Cooper continued.  “I’d like to interview some prospects I’m less familiar with.  You know, people you might know.”

That was it, Ramona thought, slightly stunned.  He wants to interview African Americans and other minorities, really expand the scope of the firm.  My goodness, she never thought she would see the day!  It encouraged her to be bold enough to ask, “Well, Mr. Cooper, would that be open enough to consider the possibility of women attorneys?”

Thomas mused on that for a second.  “Maybe, but I also had something else in mind in that regard.  You do have your four year degree, don’t you? And at least part of that was at Spelman, right?”

Ramona was surprised at this.  Yes, he might have her general resume, but they never discussed her credentials before.  “Well, I did have about two years there, finishing from my first two years of Waycross College.”  She and her family busted a gut trying to get her through those two years financially.  Then when she married Jackie there just wasn’t much here, not even for a Spelman grad.

“And you have been doing some paralegal training, right?”

“Yes, Mr. Cooper, I have.”

“Well, I want you to stop that right now!”

Ramona was horrified.  This had suddenly taken an unexpected turn for the worse.  “What?  Why?”

“Because I want you to get your law degree.  You’re way too smart to do anything less.  And I promise you this, money will not be an issue.”

Ramona was overwhelmed.  She started to tear up.  “T-thank you, Mr. Cooper!”

Thomas shook his head,  and she saw him give a clever, knowing smile, one he usually reserved for juries.  “Stop that now.  Please, you can call me Thomas.”


9


Dr.  Mala Jhauda washed her hands over the sterile sink, her exam of her secret patient complete.

“You are doing fine.  I see no complications whatsoever.”

Her patient sighed in relief.  “Thank you so much, Dr.  Jhauda.  I am so grateful you following up like this.  Your support and confidentiality has meant the world to me.  And you must let me pay you.  I can’t do it all at once, but I can do it over time.  It would mean so much if I could pay you.”

Dr. Jhadau dismissed that with a wave of her hand.  “No, that will not do.  I am proud and happy to help you.  We should just keep this on, how do they say, the down low?”

The patient tearfully hugged Mala.

Sometimes the job and the ignorance and resistance she had to face got her down.  But helping Racine?  That helped it make it all worthwhile.


Even when it meant going up to Atlanta and risking her license to do what needed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment