Monday, August 3, 2015

How Green? Way Green! and other Monday Musings

Photo taken at the Waygreen Market, a fun and successful market filled with food, fun and crafts put on monthly by the Homestead Guild of the Okefenokee Heritage Center.


I can smell it.

I am almost at the end of the first draft of Crowley Stories: Swamp's Edge, only about five to ten pages away from completion, just one good day of concentration.

Alas, that was not to be.

Selfishly, I do need a full day, particularly starting in the morning.  That was not going to happen this last weekend.

I had submitted a column last week entitled Jimmy Cracked Lawn and I Don't Care, where I clearly state that I only mow my yard on Saturday mornings, and never more frequently than every two weeks.  Just as soon as I publish that, I have to violate it.

With my commitment to the new booth the Writer's Guild want to put on at the Waygreen Local Market on Saturday morning, and with jungle level growth accumulating in my yard, I had to make the cold, hard decision to use my Friday writing time for yard-work instead.  I couldn't even mow with the atheists on Sunday because I was going to be serving as LEM (lay episcopal minister) at church.

But it turned out okay.  The Waygreen event was an excellent success for the Writer's Guild, as we introduced our guild to many new people, and sold a good number of blank writing journals for people to use.  These journals were extra special because they had writings from Guild members as the frontispiece.  If you're in the area next month's Waygreen, be sure to pick up your journal with local writing at the front, and then fill the rest of it with your own!

I must give a special shout out to April Lee for her efforts at making sure everyone who walked by knew about our Guild.  

At first, sustaining a Writer's Guild seemed like an iffy proposition, but I think we have done very well, and are into our third year!  Be sure to watch The Strait Line for upcoming information about our Second Annual Writer's Contest!  There....will...be...MONEY!

Church was also special in that I got to do the Old Testament reading as part of my duties.  I love to read aloud, and enjoyed telling about David being chastised for his sin in appropriating  "Uriah the Hittite's" wife.  I always like assisting with the sacrament of Eucharistic - it is the meaningful center of every service.  All are welcome at God's table.

This morning is the morning that my youngest some starts high school.  It is 6:39 as I write this, and I will give him this - he is awake!

For me, alas, that is a more questionable proposition.  It would appear, since I am writing that I am awake, but I wouldn't count on that.  I think I have developed the fine art of sleep typing, or at least semi-conscious typing.

Maybe that's when I need to finish Crowley Stories - in my sleep!

Until next time,

T. M. Strait



No comments:

Post a Comment