Thursday, December 10, 2015

2015 Writer's Contest Winner! The Wedding by Linda Sullivan

Our second place winner in poetry, adult division, is The Wedding by Linda Sullivan.



The Wedding
by Linda Sullivan


Now that we've joined as one, my dear
In pact unto death,
You'l;l learn to love my crude, crass ways
withstand my sour breath.

You'll learn to stroke my bloated cheek
and kiss my blue-veined hand
Then quick return my toothless smile.
My faults you'll understand

And heartly forgive me, dear, for
slavering at my plate
As you gaily waltz me o'er the floor
despite my ponderous weight

With care did I select you from the crowd.
You were pathetic.
I knew you'd sell your soul for gold and then
Would not regret it.

So, pucker up and kiss me, sweet
and fondly call me, honey,
For I possess life's blood for you - 
vast quantities of money.

Nay, sweet, you'll not console yourself
With other, beauteous women
For e'en if I suspect, I'll cut you off
without a penny

And you'll not vent frustrations on my ear.
"Twill spell your finish.
For each cross word upon your lips
Your allowance will diminish.

You'll have your fill of wealth, my sweet,
for now and each tomorrow
But I'm the thorn upon your rose
your source of constant sorrow.

In agony and pain you'll writhe
yet never dare dismiss me.
The wart grows larger on my nose,
but still you have to kiss me.



No comments:

Post a Comment