Wednesday, December 23, 2015

I Stand Resolute...at Least for a Few Days

It's that time of year again.  The dawning of a new year holds out the promise of a fresh start, the chance to recalibrate one's self into a more positive direction.

Of course, it doesn't always work out.  The force of our true nature, the mastery of the routine we have fallen into, is usually stronger than our will to adjust.  So, yes, the vast majority of resolutions quickly fall by the wayside.  But that doesn't mean they're not worth a try.

All resolutions are related, a struggle to make yourself a better and more effective person.  But I do see them falling into three broad categories.

The first is self-improvement.  The most common one in this category is diet and exercise, the desire to lose weight and become more fit.  This is a laudable goal, and something I recommit to every year.  After the indulgences of the Christmas season, I know I am certainly ready!  I often have pretty good luck with this one, at least for a few months.  I find it easier to make these sacrifices and changes during my long tax season.  I do wish some of the changes would take place year round - then I wouldn't have to keep losing the same twenty to twenty-five pounds year after year.  But I have to think - what would things be like if I didn't at least try?

Others may dedicate to improving themselves at their job, with specific goals of raises and/or promotions. Some may have more artistic or constructive goals in mind - achieving a certain chair in band, finishing a home improvement project, breaking a personal sports record.  For me, I want 2016 to be the year I get published, even if I have to self-publish.  I want to go to a book signing event with a real book in hand.

The second is conquering an addiction.  These can be any number of things that people feel life would be better if they could eliminate or control.  These are beyond the simple addictions to foods and coffee, and enter the more perilous territory of tobacco, alcohol, drugs, gambling, destructive-level obsessive/compulsive behaviors, etc.  These are things that take hold of you, and may require more than just simple resolution. They require help and understanding from others.

I have nothing in this category, other than my love of sugar/sweet and two to three cups a day of caffeine laden coffee.  I grew up in an environment that was free from tobacco and alcohol, but not in a preachy/condemnatory way.  It always surprises me how much drinking there is in TV and movies, and how something that can be so dangerous is actually portrayed as normal.  Even though I have not personally gone through it, I have seen others struggle with these addictions, and they have all my support and prayers in dealing with them.  Even if their resolutions to change do not take hold, we should respect that at least they recognize they have a problem and are taking steps to resolve it.

The third is resolving to do more to help others.  It could be in time devoted to charitable causes, helping with family obligations more, or even being more polite with people you meet everyday.  It could be at church, work, shopping or everyone everywhere.  Showing generosity and kindness is a central tenet of my faith, but it's not one I always live up to.  Sometimes my innate shyness interferes with taking the initiatives I should be taking up more often.

I am going to try to increase my involvement in charitable work.  My church is very good at doing projects they call "the hands and feet of Christ", letting the spirit move you to help others and do your small part in making this world a better place.

Whether they last a few days or a full year, the new year is a good place to take stock and consider.  What can I do to improve myself?  What addictions can I break?  And what can I do to help make this a better world for everyone?

Here's to the promise of a healthier, better, kinder 2016!


No comments:

Post a Comment