Monday, November 6, 2017

The Model Apartment is Closed


That is a picture of me with my favorite young thespian, Emily Beck, who once again impressed everyone with meeting every challenge she was faced with, and becoming better and better with every play she is in.  Our original production was scheduled for mid-October when our lead quit two days before opening, and it looked like we were done for, until Emily stepped in and quickly learned a whole passel of lines, and we rescheduled for the first weekend in November.  I can only hope that other theater groups, especially WACT, paid attention to what this extraordinary talent can do!  She can bring it any day of the week, including WEDNESDAY!

This is the only picture I could dig up this morning, but I would love to post more pictures of other cast members, especially my good friend and frequent stage wife, Julianna Lacefield.  It was wonderful to perform side by side with her, and I think we made a perfect elderly Jewish couple.  Her accent and mannerisms were spot on, and our natural acting chemistry shone through.  As our set builder and husband of the Director, Lamar Deal,  said, we came across like real people, not actors.

I also want to note stage newcomer, Kylar Austin, who was very good as my stage daughter Debby's boyfriend.  Kylar has a real future in theater, and I can't wait to see him in other productions!

As in any successful play, it takes many talented people behind the scenes to put on a top notch show, and we had that in spades.  Our Director, Barbara Griffin, worked hard at pulling out the best of us, and helping us negotiate challenges that may have killed off weaker productions.  Warren Wilson was a devoted assistant who saw us through many tough evenings of rehearsal, and conducted the light and sound board like a maestro.  Lamar Deal provided an outstanding set, props, and moral support.  Jody Rollins wrote and recorded an amazing original score for the show.  Samantha and David Bruchie stepped in and provided vital backup in set and prop preparation.  Our stage mothers, Kimberly Back and Glenda Powers, were constantly there to support the production and our young cast members.  We had a great videographer, Nathan, who came and recorded the show every night.

I want to thank those theater patrons who came out to the show.  We bested our crowd numbers for the second run of Anne Frank, and those that came were very appreciative.

Honestly, numbers are down for all local productions, except for the musicals.  It's very discouraging that so many are no longer considering local theater a part of their lives. 

But we struggle on because it's in our very blood.  When I'm preparing for a production, all I can think of is the intensive memorization, and the many nights of rehearsal.  Then I get onstage and all that evaporates.  I experience the magic as my character fills me, and I feel the energy-giving pulse of the audience, and I remember why I struggle through it all.


To paraphrase my character Max:

"I'm telling ya, these theater experiences; TOPS!"

















No comments:

Post a Comment