Saturday, February 3, 2018

Does It Matter Anymore? Saturday Political Soap Box 176

I don't know what to do anymore.

Like the little boy who cried out that the Emperor has no clothes, I've begun to realize that nothing will dissuade the Trumpeters.  Even with the recent disgrace of him calling vast swaths of the Earth s...holes, his popularity has actually risen slightly.

How do you do it?  How do you deal with people who hear him say that and still support him?  Not only support him, but maybe have drifted off the reservation, and then hear him say that, and go "Yeah, now that's the guy I like!  I'm coming back to the fold!"  Do you really hate so much that him saying that is an attraction rather than a repulsion?

The damage he is doing to the global environment doesn't matter.  The trade leaving the country (Mexico has moved agricultural trade with the USA to Argentina), including the decline of foreign tourism in the US, doesn't matter.  The rise of White Nationalism and racist violence doesn't matter. The removal of regulations that protect lives doesn't matter.  The defunding of things like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the only agency designed to take your side in banking and financial services, doesn't matter.  The degrading of our institutions, including the slow dismantling of the Diplomatic Corp and the vicious denigration of our federal law enforcement officials, including the FBI and CIA, doesn't matter.  The fact that our courts are being flooded with new appointees that will side with the corporations and the wealthy over the working man doesn't matter.  The fact that nothing has been done to check Russian influence on our elections, or that Trump is on the verge of purging Mueller's investigation, doesn't matter.

I could go on and on and, but why?  It doesn't matter anymore.  Even as he does the very opposite of what he said he would do, and instead of making America great again, he is ensuring that we will decline in power, in pride, in the protection and growth of democracy, in everything we hold dear.  He is increasing our isolation, as the rest of the world learns to operate without us.  He is virtually guaranteeing that China will be the next great super-power.

WHY?  WHY?

Why do they cling to him?

Is it the wall?  Do you really need a physical representation of bigotry, hatred, and isolation?  I mean, you know it's not going to accomplish anything other than flushing billions and billions of dollars?  Heard of planes?  Boats?  Tunnels?  Ladders?

Do you get a thrill when people who have contributed to this country for decades, some having served in the military, with family and roots here, are suddenly told to leave?  Do those heartbreaking deportations turn you on?

Is it the economy?  The recovery started in the Obama years continues, and you want to give Trump credit?  Well, we will see.  He sold out completely to Wall Street at the beginning of his term, and that may have temporarily helped (of course, the Stock Market dropped off sharply this last week, but we're not going to pay attention to that).  But he's a con man.  We'll see how he can sustain it.  We won't really know how he's doing until his first budget has kicked in (due in October but still pending), and the tax bill won't have any real effect until next year (spoiler alert: it's going to create huge deficits, and dramatically increase the total debt).

Is it that important to you to impose Christian Sharia Law on everyone?  Do you really think you can end abortion through storm and thunder and anger and criminalizing women and doctors, instead of through sunshine (birth control, proper sex education, support for the mother and child DURING the pregnancy and AFTER the pregnancy)?  Is your hatred of the LGBTQ community so great that you would return to the days of the closet and banishment?  Is it that important to you that the intolerant get to be intolerant?

Do you actually get a charge from Trump's bullying tweets?  You really think that war with North Korea is going to be a good thing?  And you think somehow it's going to be prolonged?  Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, will die on the first day. 

If I call out Trump for his hatred, his narcissism, his bullying, his racsim, his sexism, his con-artistry flim-flammism, his incompetence as a businessman, his lack of focus or ability to learn anything new, you get huffy and defensive and think I an saying you're the same.  Are you?  For those I know personally who still support him, if I felt you were completely that way, I would just dismiss you and be done with it.

But you're not.  Many Trumpeteers I personally know have many elements of decency and are kind and good people.  They're not monsters.  But something happens to them when they enter political considerations.  Some transformation occurs in them that I don't understand.  Influences by Fox News?  Their Christian Right Pastors?  Being convinced since Reagan that "liberal" is a dirty word, responsible for most of society's ills, a convenient scapegoat?  Is it hatred of the other, with otherwise reasonable people seeing others as outside of their own tribe, and therefore less human?


I don't know anymore.  I don't know what to do.  I'm beginning to lose faith that we're going to get out of this.

Tell me where I'm wrong.  For my anti-Trump friends, give me hope.  What can turn this around?  Even if we take back Congress in 2018, how do we mitigate the damage that's already been done?

For my Trumpeteer friends, what could this foul man possibly do that would make you turn away from him?  Please, let me know.  What will finally wake you up?

Does it matter anymore? 

Or is too late?








5 comments:

  1. I've already lost faith, tbh, Tom. I've lost faith in our nation and our community here in SE georgia. I've lost faith in the church mostly because I've seen the handful of Trump supporters who are in the Grace family say ridiculous, assisnine things to their fellow "church family". The brainwashing is strong and getting stronger. I've lost faith and I don't think I will ever get it back. All of the points you made here are things that I think about all the time. It is maddening. It is disheartening. I can't wait to leave this area. Not that it's any better out there (obviously). But being here deep in the heart of the ugliness...no thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like being in a congregation that is mixed politically. That said, being a Trumpeteer is neither conservative or liberal. To me it is a defiance of the basic gospel message. That said, there is probably no other church in the area that is as open and welcome to progressives, liberals, the LGBT community, and the Christian Left. I don't think we stop resisting. I think we need to be realistic at how tough this is going to be, and that there is no guarantee of victory. Even if we gain the Progressive Majority, there is going to be much damage to repair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of the lgbt community I was ecstatic to find a place like this. However I've heard too many ugly thing in the church walls and seen outspoken members use their faith as a justification to say stupid or nasty things in the Facebook comments to fellow members. It isn't the refuge I thought it was or hoped it'd be. That is a good point how they are neither conservative or liberal. I just want you to know I support your efforts and constantly resit cursing people out in the comments on your Facebook out of respect for you, not them. Thank you for being a strong voice for the rest of us who can't for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've hit paydirt, Tom! " I think we need to be realistic at how tough this is going to be, and that there is no guarantee of victory." Bingo. I would also add, that understanding that this is absolutely nothing new, is important to get very clear about. And it will not evaporate even when Trump stops being POTUS. It may get much worse before it gets even a little better. I very much admire Rev. Scott Benhase and suggest going back and browsing through his blog pieces in the e-Crozier and reading a number of them. He has the courage and conviction (as neither a Republican nor Democrat - allied with no party or political belief, per se) to step into the moral fire and grapple with the HARD stuff. And there are times when he very rightfully applies the word EVIL to some of what he writes about. IMHO, as we move closer and closer to becoming a country in which whites are not a majority, things will likely get harder and harder.The wrongly aimed blame-game will escalate. Perhaps it is good that we cannot see the future. But I remain hope-filled as I remain steadfast. It helps that I have a deep belief in the younger generations (so often disparaged by the older ones) and absolutely believe that we WILL GET THERE,(THEY will get us there!) as ugly and horrible as it may get to, on the way. I believe the arc of morality as expressed by Dr. King is real. And I believe that eventually, if we hang in there, love does win. And I am deeply grateful for real leaders like Scott Benhase who over and over, step into the fire to spur us on our way...step...by horribly painful....step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always considered myself a short-term pessimist and a long-term optimist. I believe in the moral arc that you talk about, but I worry about the long-term damage that this President (and the complicit Republicans that so overwhelmingly support him), will do before Progressive values can triumph. The damage to the environment alone will create massive problems and crisis-es for many generations to come.

    ReplyDelete