Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Mixed Monday Musings

It's good that so many volunteers are helping to adopt out the remaining pets at the Okefenokee Humane Society shelter.  Special kudos need to go to Charlotte de la Vergne in her tireless efforts to post pictures and information about the beautiful animals that are there.  As I write this, there are only about a dozen or so animals left, as they strive to complete their efforts by March 5th.

Because that's the bad news.  The shelter is closing March 5th.  I can't go into details at this time, but my heart and sympathies go out to the Okefenokee Humane Society and what they have gone through. Alison is on the Board, and I know that the last few weeks have been very hard on her.  I hope, for the sake of the animals in this area, that these issues are ultimately resolved in a way that minimizes the harm they are exposed to.


----------------------------------------------------

It's good that I am in a musical with my son.  He is doing a bang-up job, and I'm very proud of him.  I think this will be a musical (The Addams Family) that everyone will enjoy.

It's bad that I can't dance as well as I hoped.  I will continue to improve as much as I can, but I'm afraid, by the time of performances, I will still be known as Uncle "Left Shark" Fester.

It's even worse to me, though, that I am having trouble with my songs.  I can sing fine.  I'm just having trouble matching what I'm doing with what the orchestra is doing.  Some of it can be fixed by Thursday.  I don't know how much of it, and it's worrisome to me that I have practiced these songs so much, and I'm still off in the timing.  I am so proud of my song The Moon and Me.  It is so enjoyable to sing.  But it shook me to the core in Saturday's practice that that was one of the songs I was having trouble matching with the orchestra.

It's good that I was provided a Youtube audio of my songs to learn by.  I have used them HUNDREDS of times.  I could not have learned my songs as well as I have without them.  I don't sight read well, so this was perfect for me.  Unfortunately, the audios in parts are not the same rhythm or timing as the music the orchestra is playing. I am trying my best to bridge that gap, but I am very frustrated that I have this problem with something that I originally had a lot of confidence in.

It's good to be in a production with Benjamin.  I hope to be in another one with him if he so chooses.  I'm very afraid my performance in this one will prevent from ever being cast in a musical again.  But I'm not giving up.  I'm going to work my hardest to get better every day.

-------------------------------------------------------

It's good to see so many young people speaking out on the gun control issue.  This may be what finally turns this around, and we get some measures passed that actually have majority popularity, but are stuck in the mud because of the great wave of NRA dollars that wash over our cowardly politicians.  It is also heartening to see President Bone Spur's popularity start declining again, in part because of his support for the NRA and opposition to common sense gun reform.


It's bad that he's President at all.  Yes, I know Vice President Pence may actually be worse in some ways.  But overall, there is nobody worse than Trump, nobody more dangerous.  And despite the efforts to check him, the damage that is done becomes more irreversible every day.

Just a reminder - in a rare political message, the American Humane Society recommended not to vote for Trump, as he represented a danger to animals.


















No comments:

Post a Comment