Tuesday, February 6, 2018

My Theater Mantra

My Theater Mantra:


I can act with the best of them

I can sing with the rest of them

I can dance if everyone closes their eyes and pretends


But now, I find myself in a position where I must defy that mantra.  I am in a musical where I must dance, at least well enough to blend in with others and not be a distraction.

I am used to engulfing myself in self-deprecating humor so I don't feel so bad about my inadequacies. Sort of a preemptive strike, as it were. Make fun of myself before others can.  It's a trait I learned to distract bullies when I was in school,

But I can't do that this time.  When I self-deprecate about my dancing abilities, it just makes it look I don't care, and that I  am not taking it seriously.

And I do take it seriously.  I'm doing everything I can to come up to par.  I'm studying video recordings.  I'm trying to learn how to count out steps, something I've never done before, not even in singing.  

So I'm trying my heart out.  I still may fall short.  I still may wind up being Uncle "Left Shark" Fester.

But it won't be for lack of struggling to be better.

That I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment