Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Crew Cut Wednesday Wanderings



It's coming back.

Not too bad for only about 10 days.  Almost to the crew cut level.

And, yes, it is readily apparent that I'm not the master of selfies.  If my nose was any bigger in this picture, it could have its own zip code.

Shaving my head was not an easy decision to make, but I think it was worthwhile for the part.  It kept the focus away from people speculating about my bald cap rather than concentrate on my character.  Even Alison, after seeing the play, felt it was the right thing to do to truly capture Fester.

---------------------------------------------

My chompy schedule is wreaking havoc on establishing a writing routine.  There is no chance for restoration as long as tax season goes on, and I may be going into another play that should keep my schedule disrupted through the beginning of May.  Then there's the trip to Ireland.  Then it gets close to the summer audit I said I would help the office with.  This carving out time is more difficult than I thought it would be.

-----------------------------

Grammarly, which has been helpful, really wants me to buy their premium service,  Well, as long as I can't get it to work on the primary program I write in, Microsoft Word, I'm not likely to buy it.  With the level of program I have, when it does bother to show up, I only take its recommendations about half the time.  Yes, right or wrong, I often overrule its judgment.  That may disappoint some grammar purists, but I have a better idea of the message I am communicating and how I want to present it than does a robotic grammar program.

At least, that's the theory.

------------------------------

Am I still reading?  Yes.  I am reading The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz, the fourth in a series of books centered on Lisbeth Salander, the eccentric computer whiz.  The original author, Steig Larsson, passed after his first three books were just starting to become popular.  So far, I'm enjoying it, and I'm at about the halfway point. 

I'm also reading World So Wide by Sinclair Lewis, a progressive fiction writer from the first half of the century (Main Street, Arrowsmith, Babbitt).  It is his last novel, published posthumously in 1951.  I'm early on, and can't say too much about it yet.  A man loses his wife in an auto accident and decides to lose himself by touring the world.

I'm also reading Superman Omnibus Volume 3, with stories from 1941 and 1942.  The buzz of World War II is there, with Nazi saboteurs playing a role in many stories.  Remember, Superman was created by two Jewish kids from Cleveland, Jerry Siegel, and Joe Shuster.  Even though many of the stories are often illogical and far-fetched, there is also a human quality to Clark Kent and Lois Lane and the others around him, that makes the stories more touching.  In those early years, Superman used his Clark Kent reporter's role to help uncover injustice and defend the disadvantaged.  To me, that is when the Superman comics are at their best.

----------------

I've wandered enough for today.  Tax season beckons, and the more time I get in now, the less time I will have to do later.

At least, that's the theory.

Wandering away now,

T. M. Strait









1 comment:

  1. I'm disappointed that INK for All has not released Word integration like Grammarly has but INK's Wordpress plugin is super helpful. No more copy and pasting. And Ink for All boosts Content Performance Optimization so I use it more.

    ReplyDelete