Monday, July 9, 2018

Circadian Monday Musings

There is a major disruption of Circadian rhythms.

Well, not necessarily sleep, although that is sometimes a struggle.  I mean in the days not having consistency, so it makes it hard to establish a routine. 

Some days I go to work early, in the morning hours.  Some days I go to work later, more towards the afternoon.  Some days I don't go at all.

Some nights I have evening meetings or am practicing for a play.  Some nights I get to stay at home.

Sometimes my family is home with me.  Sometimes they are not.  Right or wrong, I find it more challenging to write when they are home.

I had no idea, in moving to semi-retirement, that it would be so hard to set a new routine, or how much a creature of habit I had become.

This blog was founded on me carving out writing time early in the morning, and consistently building up a habit of writing every day, even it was only thirty to sixty minutes.  I used to get up about 5:15 in the morning to accommodate that, and still be ready to leave for work around 7:30 to 7:45.
Now I sleep in until 6:30.  Sometimes I walk, so I don't get started writing until after 7.  Then I have to decide what time, if any, I'm going to work.  I first do my blog writing, if there is time.  Then I take a look if I have any time for writing on fiction projects.

Too many days I decide I don't have time. Fiction writing requires more time.  It requires you to be in the right mindset to do it, something that I often find difficult.

The semi-retirement was supposed to give me the time to more consistently get in the fiction writing mindset.  It has failed to do that. 

This is nobody's fault but my own.  It's a combination of a lack of a consistent routine dolloped with a hefty dose of laziness.   Mentally, even though it's a reduced amount of time, I still dwell too much on work.  At first, I was frustrated that I still had to spend so much time on it, particularly during tax season.  Currently, I have become more accepting of it, but it's still not addressing my Circadian problems.

I'm not giving up.  I'm going to still do what I can to rethink and then conquer these problems. 

I have to refocus my head on adapting some sort of schedule, and prioritize things so I can get more creative stuff sone, and move closer to the time it can substitute for the income I get from accounting work.

Yeah!  I can do this!  I just need to.... 

Crap!  I forgot!  I'm a week or two away from working on the summer audit, which will mean a lot more work hours up through Labor Day.  And then the community theaters begin new seasons.

Oh, well.






No comments:

Post a Comment