Tuesday, December 11, 2018

My Rarest Feature: Tuesday Tidbits

Pixie and Ellie, in Mama's chair, contemplating the power of the unrelated photo, selected simply to boost blog views.


Here I am, with one of my rarest features, Tuesday Tidbits.  The name is relatively stupid, so maybe it's good that it's rare.

FAMILY

Doug visited last night.  He got a work assignment in Waycross and spent the evening with us.  It was good to see him.  He and Paige are heading to Montana for Christmas, so it's nice that we got a chance to see him now.  

BenJerMan's last day of school for the year is today.  Yeah, I know.  That sounds weird to say, being it's December 11th.  He has college courses that ended Monday, and he gets some credit for attendance or good grades or something - I couldn't understand all of it.  He tried to explain it to us, and we kept asking him to repeat it.  We had to stop because he was getting upset.  So, although it seems unlikely, it's for real.  He'll be home from December 12th to January 8th.  Might be a good time for him to get a job.

Alison has her Christmas party at work today.  That seems early, too, but Doug said his work's was last week.  Mine won't be until December 18th.  Tonight is the Writer's Guilds.  Party Party!

READING

I am reading City of Bones by Michael Connely, part of his series of novels featuring Los Angeles Detective Harry Bosch.  It's the same basic plot used on one of the seasons of Bosch, a TV series I have watched.  I don't usually read a book after I've seen it as a movie or TV show, but I'm going ahead anyway.  It's a book  I got from a library sale where you can get a bagful of books for $5.

I have a good number of books available to read.  I have a unique book selection system that involves random numbers that give the several dozen books I usually have waiting to select from an equal chance.  Some people find this OCD disturbing.  I find it fun and exciting.  

THEATRE

I got nothing.

I finished being the narrator for The Polar Express, which I loved doing, but I have nothing else scheduled until Valentine's and re-performing The Love Letters.

I did not try out for Beauty and the Beast, as Benjamin did not want to be in it.  Two more opportunities are coming up - A Midsummer's Night Dream, and the WACT spring murder mystery.  As it is Benjamin's Senior year, I will try out for whatever Benjamin tries out for.  He may not try out for anything.  We'll see.


TV BINGEING

We just finished Homecoming, a well-crafted suspense drama starring Julia Roberts.  We are now starting the second season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - it's a fun show with snappy dialogue and many funny moments.  Its sense of period is excellent

I'm also seeing Nightflyers, a secondary effort based on a George R. R. Martin story.  Too many sequences where you're not sure what you're seeing is real, or a delusion.


WRITING

I'm having a tough time returning to fiction writing.  I am down and discouraged.  I can't get in the rhythm of it, and sales of my existing projects are devastatingly disappointing.  Yes, yes, yes.  I know I should do more to promote my books.  Many of the ways just involve tossing away more money, with little return to show for it.

I'm going to need to rethink all of my plans to earn money creatively and move more away from accounting.  I'll do something.  I'm just not sure what yet.

POLITICS

Amazingly, I don't have much to say right now.  Let's let Mueller finish up and see where we are.  Let's see how much power and influence the Progressive Democrats have in the House.

I cannot fathom people who are still sticking by Trump.  But that's been true for a long while now.  The attachment of the Trumpeteers just gets more amazing (and disgusting) every day.

-----------------

Well, that's enough tidbitting.  I see I used amazing twice within two paragraphs.  Sigh.  I'm not a first-tier writer.  Nevertheless, I persist.











No comments:

Post a Comment