Monday, May 20, 2019

Brewing Up a Fantastic Wedding


Doug and Paige got married Saturday!

Yes, my middle son, Douglas Redwine Strait, married the love of his life, Paige Harwood, in a beautiful ceremony, set in a brewery.

The brewery, Monday Night Brewery,  was quite large, with two different bars/restaurants, and a great warehouse/hall to hold a wedding.  I'm hard-pressed to think of a better facility for their wedding.

The ceremony itself was very special.  I read a scripture reading, one from Colossians, and also participated in giving the bride way (well, I asked, "Who gives this woman to be the bride of this man?"  I rehearsed that line more than any line in my life, and I was still terrified I would get it wrong.

The minister for the wedding was Paige's father, whose personal and affecting words brought many of us close to tears.  I had never heard a sermon filled with such warmth and love.

And now, for the random picture section;



We wait in awe as Paige and her father walk down the aisle.  I'm in the center, preparing for my two minutes.  Next two me is Doug, Greg, and two good high school friends of Doug, Roderick, and Ryan.



Here they are, waiting for the big wedding to start; Paige, her maid of honor Bethany, and Doug and Greg.  It was hard to figure out when to take pictures.  They had professional photographers who even came out to their homes and took pictures of people getting ready.  I did not see many others taking pictures - I was afraid maybe it was against the rules.

The other bridesmaid was Shannon Thrift, who at one time lived in Blackshear.  I knew her from some of the plays we were in, and she came and babysitted our pets when we went on a trip.  She also met Doug and became friends, although at some distance, as they went to separate schools.  This turned out to be a big plus because when Paige met Doug, she had Shannon's endorsement of Doug's character.


Doug danced with Alison for the Mother/Son dance.  They have had a good relationship for years now, and I was touched that Doug asked, and I thought their dance, to Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful World, was special and sweet.

As much as I loved it, I do wish that Doug's mother could have been there for this.  She passed several years ago, but I know how much this wedding would have meant to her.  Doug's strengths and character come in large part from her,  and she would have loved Paige and the wedding.

I wish the young couple all the best, and I look forward to participating in the experience of their lives together, and to now having a beautiful, talented, kind and caring daughter-in-law!  How sweet it is to say those words!






4 comments:

  1. Awe!! Congratulations to the Strait family!! Beautiful photos and post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was a wonderful wedding, and I lok forward to Paige and her family being a part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a beautiful wedding! That's awesome that you had a speaking part. Paige and I were both music majors at Berry so we had a lot of the same classes. She's so sweet. Congratulations on gaining a new family member!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I couldn't ask for a better daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete