Tuesday, May 7, 2019

We Interrupt This Blog.....

We interrupt this blog for an important commercial.......


Recording!

No, there's no pictures.  I was just too darn excited and into it to remember to take any.  Durn!

What was I excited about?

I mean I just spent the day in the office.  Like thousands of days over the past thirty years, me and math and columns and organization, pen and paper, computers and spreadsheets, carefully containing emotion, expression, and imagination.

What was different about this day at the office?

I WAS AN ACTOR IN A COMMERCIAL!!!

Sorry.  I said that louder than I was expecting.

Two friends from my theater experiences, Darren Council and Jody Rollins, were kind enough to think of me and include me in a commercial they were preparing. It's one that they were preparing for a contest, selling a certain snacky item (two of it's more popular flavors are cool ranch and nacho cheese).

Darren was in a play with me several years ago and has since gotten involved with the movie industry, including video crew work, most recently on Avengers: Endgame (anyone heard of that film?).  Jody Rollins is a gifted musician, a featured player in different bands, and a sound artisan.  This may have been a contest entry, but it was being put together by gifted, experienced professional craftsman.  In the past, Darren has had winning entries.

The commercial needed an office setting, and I was very grateful that my firm was willing to participate.

After reading the script, I was surprised at how well the small board room we had fit the needs of the commercial.   There is a fishing/boating theme running through the commercial, and our boardroom has a nautical theme.  Homerun!

The commercial took about three hours to record, for an end product that would be about thirty seconds.  This elderly slice of ham did his best to say his lines right and "hit the spot." 

It was fun.  I was so grateful to be involved.  I have waited so long for this sort of thing that I had kind of given up.  Even now, I'm trying to not get my hopes up.  I don't want to put myself in a position to be disappointed yet again.

Anyways, for one afternoon, it was something to pretend that I was someone that I was not.  Or maybe, it was a joy to be someone I had always thought that I could be.

I stayed later than usual at work, so I was late coming home.  This time, however, coming home later was a completely different feeling.  Instead of saying "Honey, I'm late, trying to finish up those damn spreadsheets.", I got to say -

"Honey, I'm late.  I was busy finishing up my performance in a commercial!"

WOO-HOO!!!
















2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a brief glimpse into an alternative universe, and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete