Thursday, January 23, 2020

Rebel Without An Editor



Yep.  That's what self-promoting your writing is like.  Sitting at a table, in a mostly empty room, patiently waiting for someone to notice you are there, and then trying to get up the nerve to make your writing sound worth buying.

Yep.  Like a toddler who just made a mudpie, I think I have done the greatest thing ever, and wait for the adults to excitedly squeal over my achievements.  At many places, the most common comment I get is, "Yeah, I don't read."  I don't think they mean they're illiterate.  I think they mean they don't read for pleasure.  In particular, they find fiction repugnant and a waste of time.  Whereas, my motto is, "Fiction!  Don't leave home without it!"

Yep.  I know that I need more editing.  I know that it is a flaw.  But...spoiler alert...editors cost money.  They cost substantially more than the money I could make selling any self-published book I could write.  Some things an editor might tell me, I might listen to and recalibrate my work.  Others (No prologues!  Too many characters!  Show, don't tell!  Conform to market and genre standards!) I would ignore.  I would love to make money and for more people to read my stuff, but ultimately, I want to tell my stories my way.

Yep.  I know that some of my friends laugh at how much I 'shill' my writings.  But in reality, I don't do it as near enough as I should.  I lose focus and concentrate on my newer writing projects.  Tragically, I have thin skin and am easily persuaded not to push as hard as I could.

So, for my fans, new and old, I'm not going anywhere.  I am renewing my 'shill bones' and intend to push harder than ever.  I may need a rhino skin transplant, but I'm going to do my best.

For those who find my 'shilling' amusing?

Prepare to be amused.

1 comment:

  1. Being "thin skinned" isn't a bad thing at all, unless it is cold because then one gets cold easily. lol

    ReplyDelete