Sunday, May 10, 2020

Works Matter






From today's morning prayer:

John 14:10-12

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.


Belief and faith are important.  Having belief and faith in the Way is crucial. But it ultimately means nothing if it is not reflected in your works.

Examine yourself and ask...how am I following the way?  Expressions of dogma do not answer it.  Judging others by their personal sins misses the mark big time.  Personal piety is nice but not the real answer.  It's in love.  Love God.  Love your neighbor.

Find ways to be the hands and feet of Christ.  Seek ways to make this a better world for all. 

I am aware of how much I fall short in this regard.  I have stepped up to be treasurer to help the financial needs of the church.  I speak out for causes that defend the poor and disadvantaged.  I support these things financially.

But I need to do more.

And it is an essential part of my faith journey to figure out how to do more.

 "The one who believes in me will also do the works that I do."

These are dark times.  It is hard not to despair.

Lett's look for the light.  Christ has lit it for us.

We need but to look, to believe, and to act.








1 comment:

  1. Spot on!! Love matters...actions speak louder than words. Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete