Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Blog That Was

 


There's no denying it.

My blog is fading away.

My first entry was in May of 2009.  So I'm just a little more than two months shy of 12 years.

It's not been a themed blog.  It's eclectic, with blog stories all over the map.  It allows me to write on whatever strikes my fancy at the moment.

I don't make money off of it.  I've been banned from advertising since late 2012, banned for a judgment error in encouraging people to look at my ads to help share the money with a charity.  It was a stupid decision, but the ban is for eternity, and there is no forgiveness or second chances.  No Trump pardon for me.

That is discouraging because, as I am currently in tax season again, I am reminded that I want to make enough money to fully retire from my accounting career.

Well, that and my other writings (four self-published books!) have been a bust.  Those who looked at me skeptically when I told them I want to make money writing were the ones who were right.  I was determined to prove them wrong, and so far, I have been unable to.  Part of it is my writing imperfections, but a large chunk is my abysmal failure at marketing.  Some people can sell ice to Eskimos.  Some, like me, couldn't sell water to someone dying of thirst.

I thought semi-retirement would bring me more time to write.  For me, the foundation of any writing is a consistent schedule, with a specific time each day reserved for writing.  Now, all my routine is upended.  Every day is different.  Some days I go in early.  Some days I go in late.  I have other projects going.  And, sadly, as I age, it takes longer to clear my head and focus.

The consequence is that I am writing fewer and fewer posts.  I have gone from an average of about five per week to less than two.  And even that frequency is shrinking,

I am not giving up, but I am greatly discouraged.

For lent, I am giving up other distractions.  I am giving up morning TV (including YouTube or other videos).  I will give up my ten minutes of playing my online baseball game, at least confining to evening.

This might help me write more.  It might not. 

But it's worth a shot.

Stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment