Monday, March 22, 2021

A Season Delayed

 


I so want to get tax season over with. 

But no such luck.

The IRS has delayed the individual tax deadline to May 17th.

Even though I have been semi-retired, I have been generally respectful of major tax deadlines, particularly centered around March 15, April 15, and October 15th.  This has not always been easy, especially in the spring, when Alison usually has a week-long break in early April.  So, we never went anywhere, or spent much time together, during that period.

This year, I can't do it.  I have to buck tradition,  The sudden month delay has caught me exposed.

Now that major parties involved are or will soon be vaccinated, we set in stone our plans to visit family in Michigan.  On the way back, we will visit my son and daughter-in-law in metro Atlanta.

Benjamin gets out of school on May 7th.  We want him to be able to get a summer job, and once he does that, he is not likely to be able to travel. And this is the week that my sister has been able to set for us to come to Michigan.  

Do I feel a little guilty about leaving the week of the deadline?  Yes.

Is it going to make me cancel my plans, and have to potentially wait another year to go to Michigan? No.  It's been far too long since we've been up.  The grand-niece we saw at almost one year old is now in school.  And there are three more (grand niece and grand nephews) we've not even seen.

Sorry, IRS.  Please forgive me, Higginson and Paulk.

I know the deadline changed, but I'm going to need to make this trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment