Monday, March 8, 2021

Stewing Monday Musings

 


With only eleventy minutes to write, it's hard to explore too much in-depth.

I only have time to let some concepts stew.  Maybe later they will turn into a full-fledged, well-thought-out post...but maybe not.

I know something's going on with the British Royals, and Meghan and Harry are upset about something.  Maybe more than one somethings.  I can't tell yet, because I've only read on the surface about their interview with Oprah.

There sounds like there is racism involved, most inexplicably directed at concerns of their child's skin color? They also seemed to be shunned in part or whole.

Quickie takes, that may be borne partly of ignorance -

Did they not know what they were getting into?  Would it not be better to stay and fight and try to change things from within?

And why exactly do we care so much about royalty anyways?  I don't understand this instinct of human nature.  Even though they are not OUR ROYALS, we pay a heck of a lot of attention to them.  And then, if that wasn't enough, we create our own royalty out of celebrities - movie stars, singers, sports figures.  And what the hell are the Kardashians, anyways?


I've spent a lot of time stewing over ideas concerning so-called cancel culture.

It seems to me that most culture disappears over time regardless.

Do you realize how many silent movies have vanished?  Sources I looked at (Wikipedia, Variety, The Atlantic) say over 75% of silent films are just gone, all prints destroyed.

And how many of you have watched ANY silent movie?

I recently watched Rosita, a silent movie starring Mary Pickford.  It was pretty good, but a synopsis falls out of my eleventy-minute scope.  Maybe in another post.  For whatever reason, in this case, Mary Pickford turned against the picture and ordered all prints destroyed.  

Recently, a degraded print was found in Russia.  The Museum of Moden Art worked to restore it, and I saw it in the last month on TCM, Turner Classic Movies.

And speaking of Dr. Suess, do you how many books from that time period are "out-of-print" and no longer being published?  Many, many more than are being published now, I daresay.

--------------------------

Also stewing about cultural appropriation, but I need to think that one out more lest I say it wrong and offend people.

Bottom line...culture is much more fluid and temporary than most people think.

--------------

Also, something about wanting the MLS (Major League Soccer) to leave Sinclair Fox Sports regionals and be shown elsewhere where we may be able to get their games.

------------

Also...

CRAP!  My eleventy minutes is way past!

...

Stay safe!


T. M. Strait









1 comment:

  1. Wow! Eleven minutes and you gave us a lot to think about! Thanks...like your zinger about the Kardashians.

    ReplyDelete