Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Second Shot Soliloquy

 


I should have known better.

The only two times I've had flu-like symptoms were a few days after I took a flu shot.  And I've only had two flu shots, so that made me two for two.

So, I should have known I wouldn't be one of the lucky ones to have no reaction. 

I had my second Moderna shot Monday.  It wasn't too bad, some minor chills, some dizziness, a little tiredness, a tiny bit of nausea. Being semi-retired and checking that there wasn't anything urgent in the office, I decided not to go in after my shot.  I knew I would be fine by morning.

Well, it's Tuesday morning now, and quest what?  I have more serious chills, some congestion, and a fever. Last check, my fever was 100.9, not too high by some people's standards, but high for me considering my usual morning temp is around 97.

I feel bad that I may have to beg off work again.  I fear I might give fuel to the anti-vaxxers.  Even semi-retired, it's around the time of year that others are quite intense about coming in.

Make no mistake.  I do not expect this to last very long.  If it subsides, perhaps I can come in today.  I also have church treasury work I have to do.

I shouldn't have been surprised.  But historically from me?  It kinda makes sense.

Anyways, I'll see if it drops in the next hour.  Maybe I'll even post an update.

Everyone needs to get vaccinated.  It's the only way out of this nightmare.

Stay safe,

T. M. Strait

UPDATE 3/17

There is a woods.  Right now, I am in a better part of the woods.  But I am not out of the woods.

My feet dropped some, so I charged ahead to work, first my church treasury job, and then my CPA job.  I endured as long as I could and then went home.  My fever rose to 101.7.  

The good news is that I took a couple of Tylenol (acetaminophen), and my fever dropped!  I cannot recall when Tylenol worked for me, so it was a bit of a surprise.

This morning I have a much lower fever.  My mind is cloudy, like I took some PM medicine or melatonin.  I alternate between hot or cold.

But the journey through the woods is getting better, and I can see myself out of them very soon.

UPDATE 3/20

Sorry I haven't updated in a while.  Tax season has been kicking my posterior maximus.  

But...I feel great! Really, higher energy than normal!  Earlier, I barely had the energy nor mental concentration to do CPA work. Since Thursday, I've had too much energy and mental sharpness to WANT to do CPA work.

I guess no matter what the circumstances, I'm not really wanting to do CPA work.  Surprise!  

But I feel wonderful being on the other side of the vaccine divide.




4 comments:

  1. Wow!! Sorry to hear this. We get our second dose, Pfizer, next week and hopefully we can skate by with little side effects. I agree we all need to get vaccinated...only way to get out of the nightmare. Get well quick! Keep writing and Thank you for your part of keeping all of us safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! As of Thursday, I'm completely over any minor side effects, and I am raring to go - except to tax season. I'm ready for that to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The side effects of these vaccines are all over the place. But, in agreement, it must be done. I, on the other hand, am going for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. I have so many extenuating health issues that it is the best choice. My vaccine appt is next Thursday. Hopefully everything goes well. Get back at those taxes, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're getting your shot! I have now heard the disturbing news that tax season has been extended to May 17th! It. Never. Ends!

    ReplyDelete