Friday, June 11, 2021

Friday Writing Randomizer

 It's a struggle.

I have to get back into fiction writing.

But it's a hard habit to rebuild.

I think I've got my time reorganized, but I'll have to re-review to get back into the novels I've started.

Meanwhile, I'll try to re-inspire myself by trying one of my favorite exercises - constructing a few sentences from the InspireMe app that generates three words at random and see what kind of story starts I can get.


gulf, must, victory

I can't keep going like this.  I must have some hint of victory, some small hope that the gulf between us has been at least partially bridged.

I see her at the restaurant.  She is drinking coffee, alone, reading from a book.  I bring her flowers.  She takes them.  She looks directly at me, smells the flowers, and dumps them on the floor. "It's going to take a lot more than flowers to make up for what you did," she says and then returns to her book, shutting me out of her life.

stream, depend, view

He loved to stream.  I would call him a streamaholic.  It was my view that streaming was ruining his life.  The bingeing took him away from us for hours.  It became impossible to pull him away from it.  He went from Bridgerton to The Queen's Gambit to The Underground Railroad. One led to another and then another.  He rarely slept.  I could not depend on him for anything.

Trying to cut the internet or stop the streaming services would just fly him into a rage.  None of my attempts to pull him away worked. 

I did not have to wait for the Matrix to take him away.  He was already lost.

adjective, fear, sugar

The sweet sugar melted in my mouth and then exploded in my pancreas. Maybe the adjective to describe sugar is not sweet but deadly.  Deadly sugar.  I love it, but now I must fear it.  Why does something I love so much have to hurt me so badly?

adventure, plenty, rubber

Do you want adventure in your life?  Then it's time for the rubber to hit the road! Take the plunge!  Buy the GeoForce Tracker today!  It's the car of the future, and its powerful 7,000 horsepower engine and off-road capabilities will allow you to have plenty of fun!

surface, radio, thus

I didn't know it could go that low.  I had thought 550 was as low as the AM radio could go.  But in fiddling with the dial, I slipped lower before I knew what I was doing.  It pulled in 490 - impossible!  And stranger yet, there was something there! A signal, repeating a weird message - 

We are here.  We will conquer.  You have 48 hours to escape the surface of your planet, or you will be annihilated. Go underground or die.  This is your final warning.

What is this?  An update on Orson Welle's War of the Worlds scare?  I called my friend Bennie, and he jetted over.

The message remained the same, except it was now saying 47 hours instead of 48.

We debated what to do.  I tried to tell more people, but most wouldn't even listen to it.  The one exception was my girlfriend, Iris, who took it even more seriously than we did.

As the time approached, Iris convinced us to go to the high school and get in the fallout shelter constructed in the mid-fifties.

And thus, the three of us were part of the few to survive the alien apocalypse.

What happened next made us think we might have been better off not surviving.












No comments:

Post a Comment