Wednesday, June 30, 2021

History of the Trap Vol. 2: Chapter 3 - A Week at the Farm Part 4

 

4

 

The farmhouse was big.  Much bigger than I anticipated, or even thought possible.  When it was first discovered, I don’t remember it being described in such grandiose terms.

Once out of my room, Ginny led me on a tour.  I had been around some, but never with a guide, especially one as attractive as Ginny.

Outside my room, in the hallway, I noticed several rooms, perhaps as many as four.  Interesting, but not enough to accommodate everyone staying out here.  “There are not enough rooms for everybody to stay. Are these reserved for teachers?  Or some of the student management?”

Ginny laughed.  “No.  They’re reserved for something else.”

I still wasn’t getting it.  “You mean like for guests?  Like me?”

“Occasionally,” Ginny said.  “But not primarily.”

A light started to shine in my head, and rather than pursue it, I decided to move the conversation forward. “So, where does everybody go?  Do they sleep in the barn?”

“Well, I can’t rule out that nobody’s ever slept in the barn.  It takes all kinds to make the world go round.  But, no, the sleeping quarters are in the basement.” Ginny slipped her arm into mine. “C’mon.  I’ll show you.”

Before we could leave, one of the doors opened up, and Robert Bond walked out, buttoning up his shirt.  Robert was a founding member of our group, Artie’s Pals.  He’d left to be at the farm shortly after its discovery.  Before he could entirely shut the door, I caught a glimpse of someone else in the room, but I couldn’t tell who.

“Hey, Lance!  Good to see you out and about!”  Robert had a good sense of cheer about him.

“Good to see you, Robert!  You look good.  You must be taking to farm life.”

Robert glowed or turned a shade of red.  I’m not sure which. “I am!” he answered.  “Maybe you ought to take it up too?  Get out of that cesspool of nastiness at the high school.”

“Sure.  Maybe I will.” No, I wasn’t.  Too many people there to care about and help protect, not the least of which was my sister and father.

Ginny said, “I’m showing him the whole enchilada this morning, Robert.  Maybe that’ll convince him.  You want to join us, Robbie?”

That was new.  He’d never heard Robert called Robbie before. “Wish I could, Ginny.  I got to oversee egg production this morning.”

“What? Those hens won’t lay eggs without you?” Ginny playfully asked.

“You’d be surprised,” kidded Robert.  “Anyhoo, Lance, you are in good hands with Ginny. I can’t think of a better person to show you the farm.”

Robert left down the hall. I looked at Ginny, smiling.  “Ok, Ginny.  Show me the wonders of Farm Land.”

We started down the hall, heading to a staircase that would take us to the ground floor.

As we came to the head of the steps, I heard a door open down the hall.  It was David Deneau, once my lead actor in The Sands of Loren (the soap opera I wrote for school broadcast), and now the student head of the farm community.

What room was he exiting?  Wasn't that the same room Robert left?

At first, I tried to rationalize away what I saw.  Eventually, though, I was not able to that.

I’ll be honest.  I had trouble with it. But only for a while.  The more time I had to think about, the more time I saw them together, and how much caring and love was in their relationship, the more I came to accept it.

Not, as Ginny would later remind me, that they needed my acceptance.

Over my years in the Trap, Doc, I learned what a precious commodity love was. I stopped questioning it.  Wherever it came from.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment