Monday, September 9, 2013

Football Fantasy Weekend and Other Monday Musings

The title is misleading.  You would think by that I would be one of the many that play fantasy football.  I am not.  It does seem something I might like, but I have been too lazy to start it up.

I would organize my own fantasy teams for myself, and create statistic based on my "squads", even in the seventies and eighties.  But I have never done it where I have to be disciplined enough to participate and compete with other people.  Some of these fantasy leagues also require money, which I am reluctant to part with,

It was a good start to the weekend, not ideal but pretty good.  Both Michigan and Georgia won by identical scores, 41 to 30.  Michigan in particular looked very good, except for one poorly though out pass by the quarterback while he was being tackled in his own end zone, leading to a Norte Dame touchdown.

I still can't get over how an SEC team can lose a game and still be competitive for the national title, but for a Big Ten team, a loss means complete elimination.  Winning a major conference championship should be a ticket to the national playoffs.  Period.

The Falcons played the Saints close, and looked a lot better than they did in pre-season, but ultimately a loss is a loss.  The Lions looked impressive, except for the penalties and stupid mistakes.  If they can overcome those, they should be in great shape for the year.

I wonder if we might have all been better off if President Obama had just a done a quick strike and have it over with in Syria,  Trying to obtain the approval of Congress and the international community is the right thing to do....on paper.  If the United States does nothing, the questions remains...what happens if the use of chemical weapons is not sanctioned?  Do we let the next use of them pass?  Do they become an accepted part of warfare again, with all the bloody consequences that will engender?  I don't know the answer.

We have enjoyed the company of middle son, Doug, this weekend.  He will leave Tuesday to start the next phase of his life, and we will always be there to support him.  I cannot overestimate tho positive influence he has had on Benjamin.

I always call my father Sunday afternoons at 2, ans I failed to do that yesterday.  I hope to make it up tonight, and include Doug in the conversation.  I have rarely missed a Sunday in the last decade or so, even dating back to when my mother was alive.

We tried to rent a movie from Direct TV, Mud, and that turned into an utter disaster.  No matter what we did we couldn't get the movie to work, even with texting AND phone calls. We won't try it again.

Alison has been recovering from gum graft surgery and it has really affected what she can eat, and she has been in some pain.  However, she is going to try to go to work today, and I hope that works out okay.  I hope she knows she can come home if it gets to be too much.  I see a doctor today on my knee thing, which I probably should have canceled.  It got about 80% better than what it was, but has not improved all the  way.  But it is good enough now that most people don't notice I have a problem (no visible limping or wincing), and I can sleep at night without medication.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment