Saturday, September 14, 2013

Ripping Good Yarns: OCD Book Selection Part Dos!

Well, last time was son incredibly popular (NOT), I thought...what the heck!  Let's do it again!

What do I read next?

Book lovers have their own different methods for determining that.  Some may go to the library and pick something they fancy.  Some may peruse ebook titles anddownload something new.  Some go to a great local bookseller, like Waycross' fabulous Read Me Again Books,  and pick out something that looks good, or they're advised to based on a knowing clerk's evaluation of their interests.  Others hear about books from their friends, and want to read them so they can share.  Others see a movie and then want to follow up with a book.

A handful may have actually bought a few books ahead, and pick out the one they are most interested in at the time they peruse their collection.

I, of course, do none of those things.  My selection method is individual to me, and I don't necessarily recommend it to anybody else.  It is something I enjoy, and have a great deal of fun doing, but I don't expect anyone to emulate it.  In fact, many of you will think it is down right weird.

Well, to each his own.

Nevertheless, I have received inquiries as to how I pick so and so book, or why I haven't started so and so book, so I thought some explanation was in order.

I have a notebook where I list every book I have purchased to be read.  I purchase quite a bit, because I love books, and nothing gives me greater pleasure (outside of the usual family and God exceptions) than getting new books.  But I do get them at a faster clip than what I can read.

As I select a book to read, it gets crossed off the list.  Currently, I have 66 books on the list to read.  This includes graphic novels and some science fiction magazines.  I select 10 books to read from the list, and read them in the order that they were selected.

I have dice as an app on my iPhone.  I roll a number, 2 through 12, start at the beginning of the list, and count down that number of unread books on my list. 

I have a rolled a 7.

The first thing I will read is the August 1951 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction.  It's from only it's second of publication, a magazine that continues to this day, and I get part of the new ones on my Kindle each month.  This issues features stories by Arthur C. Clarke and Charles Dickens!

My next roll is also 7.

The second thing I will read is the graphic novel Bayou Vol. 2 by Jeremy Love.  It is a fantast story set in the swamps of Louisiana.  It was originally an online digital comic, and this a compilation of that.  The first volume was very well written and illustrated, and I have hopes this one will be the same.

My next roll is 6.

The third book is The Peddler by Richard S. Prather.  It is a book from the Hard Case Crime series, presenting both new classic crime and noir thrillers.  Stephen King has done two of the books in this series, The Colorado Kid and Joyland.  This should be a classic as it was first published in 1952.

My next roll is 4.

The fourth book is The Autocracy of Mr. Parham by H. G. Wells.  I collect as many of H. G. Well's books as I can find, in as early of editions as I can afford,  This one was written in and published in 1930, and that is the year of  the edition I have.  I'm not quite sure what it is about, except Mr. Parham attends a seance, and there is a section of five chapters entitled The Second World War.  1930, mind you!
 
My next roll is 11.

The fifth book is a graphic novel entitled Wonderland by Raven Gregory.  It is another retelling of the Alice In Wonderland story.

My next roll is 7.

The sixth selection is a a graphic novel Catwoman Vol. 2: Dollhouse by Judd Winick and Adriana Melo. It is from DC's New 52 series started two years ago, and represents like their umpteenth version of Catwoman.

My next roll is 9.

The seventh book is Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, an extraordinary writer wh ohas one of her books listed on Entertainment Weekly's list of greatest novels of all time (The Handmaid's Tale).  This is only her second novel done in 1972, and is a psychological thriller set in Northern Quebec.  Oooo la la!

My next roll is 3.

The eighth book is the second part of the Days of Infamy series, End of the Beginning  by Harry Turtledove, an alternate history where at the start of world War II, Japan has successfully invaded and occupied Hawaii.

My next roll is 10

The ninth book is Gone But Not Forgotten by Phillip Margolin, a suspense crime thriller.  I obtained it from Alison's mother, Rose Aldridge, when she was clearing out some books.  It's free!

My final roll is 7.

The final selection is Sleep No More by Greg Iles, suspense thriller that I just see the description "imagine if Rebecca was written by a man."  Hmmm.  Well,, I'll let you know!

Quite a variety this time.  But still no Stephen King yet, of which I'm about three books behind.  Oh, well!  Maybe next draw!

Huzzah!

Until the next ten,

T. M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment