Monday, July 28, 2014

Dawn of the Work Week and Other Monday Musings



Please....excuse me a moment while I do a "we got to see a movie last weekend" dance!

Please...excuse me a moment while I replace a lamp.

Okay.

It was worth the wait.  If there was going to be such a long gap between trips to the movie theater, I'm glad this was the movie I came back to see.  Extraordinary story extraordinarily done well.

I won't spoil the story, but suffice to say that, for a story centered so on apes, it was a very "human" story.  The foibles that lead us into horrible. out of control conflicts were very much in evidence. It shows, on both sides, how an individual's bad actions can reverberate and poison everything, and what following leaders out of fear can lead to.

Sometimes when they do large numbers of apes, you're a little conscious of the manipulation of CGI.  But when the movie focused on small groups of apes, the personality of the apes came through loud and clear, sometimes even more clearly than the human characters.

The Strait family gives this movie two enthusiastic thumbs up!  It is a bit intense, however, so it is not for the wee ones.

----------------------------------------------------

Speaking of movies, next weekend we will make it two in a row by attending our most anticipated movie of the summer, The Guardians of the Galaxy.  We are big fans of Chris Pratt, and of the Director, James Gunn, so we intend to be some of the first to see it.  Which means I should finally be able to give you a timely review.  Woohoo!

-----------------------------------------------------

We have a new foster dog!  Her name is Sally.  I don't know what her real mix is, but she looks like a cross between a corgi, a boxer, and a tiger.  Pictures soon!

-----------------------------------------------------

I have decided to direct a play at WACT (Waycross Area Community Theater).  It will be my first time directing since Young Robin Hood almost two years ago at Flying Dragon, where I had A LOT of help from my friend, Karissa Cook.  This time I may be more on my own, and the play is The Dixie Swim Club.  It is about the funniest script I have ever read, and it features five women who will age in the play from mid-forties to mid-seventies.  And who better than me to understand what women go through in dealing with life over the years?

Oh.  I might have to re-think this.  What did you say, WACT?  It's too late to change my mind?  Oh well, then.  BRING IT!!!

--------------------------------------

Another reminder to my friends of this blog, on Facebook, or those who actually get to see me as a physical entity.  I am an intensely political person, and I make no apologies for that.  Not only that, I am highly aware that my politics differ than most of the people in the area that I live.  I am aware that I have cherished, conservative friends, some whose politics make me weep.  I also have MANY friends who squint and squirm at any politics, as if they were approaching a very smelly outhouse.  Just keep in mind that I will not back down in this area, and that there will be politics on The Strait Line, and on my interactions and postings on Facebook.  You can tune me out altogether, or just turn a blind eye to that part of it.  But it's not going to stop.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment