Monday, September 15, 2014

No Bookstore Escape Monday Musings

City lights bookstore in San Francisco.



Yes, darting off to the other side of the country to visit a progressive bookstore sounds like an ideal escape for a busy, busy week! But alas, there is no escape.

The writing contest deadline is today, and even though it looks the number of entries is going to be crushingly disappointing, I must soldier it on to its conclusion.  With the help of Steve Bean and other OHC personnel, the entries must be organized and judge's packets prepared and sent out. Once we know how many entries we have, then I will need to initiate the process of getting the elementary and secondary contestants certificates of participation. Hopefully the work that we have done will lay the groundwork for higher levels of participation in future years.

The WACT play that I am directing, The Dixie Swim Club, is also hitting a crucial stage.  Tonight's rehearsal is the first completely off book, no line prompting (theoretically).  There are still some props and staging that needs to be done.  Soon I need to introduce Alison and Benjamin into the mix, and get them started on their jobs helping. I must say, overall, that The Dixie Swim Club is about as far along as I have seen any play at this point in its rehearsals.

I have work stacked to the wazoo at my job.  We have made it to the corporate deadline of the 15th, but there are still non-profits to prepare, and my regular work to catch up.

I have jury duty on Friday, and a special assignment to do for church, so it will be the second Friday in a row that I will lose my major day to write fiction.  I am starting to turn a corner on some projects, passing the point where there is more done than is left to do, so I am anxious to get back to it.

I go back and forth on ISIS, between whether the President's response is appropriate, or whether it will make things worse.  The only thing I know for sure is that the McCain/Romney approach of over-aggression and multiple wars would be disastrous.  Yes, Bush/Cheney are completely to blame for this mess we're in, forever and ever amen, but we have to deal with it somehow.

Football was miserable this weekend.  Yes, the Wolverines defeated a team with one of the longest losing streaks in major college conference football.  The rest, however, was deflatingly bad.  It's early still, but it does not look promising.

We still have Sally, available for adoption.  She is going to make somebody a fantastic pet, so maybe she can find a home locally.  She certainly deserves it.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait



2 comments:

  1. Don't feel responsible for the lack of entrants. As far as students go, many don't like to write (or are so overwhelmed with school and sports there is no time left) and you can't FORCE adults to contribute. Just be glad and know you did something different and were a part of people creating instead of destroying. Next year you can learn from this year and it will be that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We did have more than it looked like a week ago, thanks to your efforts and others. I greatly appreciate it, and I think we have a good base to build for the future.

    ReplyDelete