Thursday, February 26, 2015

Ripping Good Yarns: My Review of the Oscar Presentations




Here is my review of Sunday's Academy Awards telecast -


I didn't watch it.

For the first time since I could control a TV dial or a remote, I watched absolutely none of the Oscars.  That probably means nothing to most of you reading this.  But it is a bigger deal to someone who has consistently watched them for over half a century.

Granted, since the DVR, I had time shifted and sped through portions of it, I had nevertheless recorded it and saw the important bits.

Last night, I saw on YouTube the Everything is Awesome musical number, and it was, indeed, awesome.  Too bad the best animated film of the year, The Lego Movie, didn't even get nominated for Best Animated Film of the Year.

I was happy to hear that Eddie Redmayne won the Best Actor award for playing Stephen Hawkings in The Theory of Everything.  That was a good movie.


The attention paid to Birdman (the anti-blockbuster movie) and Boyhood (the artistic stunt movie), the unexpected dissing of Selma (about 90% historically accurate), the fawning over American Sniper (about 25% historically accurate), the lack of nominations for those superhero blockbusters the ultrasophisticates in Hollywood seem to detest (especially the highly deserving Guardians of the Galaxy), all led me to willingly skip this year's Oscars, to not even record it for later or time shifted viewing.

Maybe next year, the nominations and Oscar races will be more interesting, and I will be more inclined to watch (although past history indicates they will not).  Maybe I have finally weaned myself off my Oscar watching addiction.

Of course, if they nominate Avengers: Age of Ultron , and/or the new Star Wars movie for Best Picture, than all bets are off the table.  Get me a vat of buttered popcorn and a jumbo cherry coke, and I'll be back in the Oscar saddle!

Yeehaw!





No comments:

Post a Comment