Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tax Hump Day

As of yesterday, tax season was over half done.  Whoop-e-doo.

It doesn't feel like much this year.  There still is a long way to go, and with other things happening, it is a milestone that has not drawn a lot of my attention.

Nevertheless.....hooray.

This year has been slightly tougher because of the changes enacted by the Affordable Care Act.  There are more forms and questions to answer.  Nothing that is impossible, but it does require more steps and details than last year,  It is a shame that with all the talk of simplifying the tax code, it just gets more and more complex every year.  But this was what we could get through Congress, and the bottom line is that millions more have access to health insurance, a basic necessity in today's modern world.

I had hoped that I could let my 10% retirement encroach into tax season.  The physical and mental stamina required to concentrate on this is an increasing challenge to me.  But so far I have not really cut back anymore than I have in recent years.

This is the first year since I could reach a TV dial or remote that I did not watch the Oscars.  So far I haven't even seen clips, although I wouldn't mind seeing the performances of the winning song Glory from Selma, and Everything is Awesome from The Lego Movie.  I didn't care whether Birdman (the I hate Hollywood and it's overcharged superhero blockbusters movie) or Boyhood (the oh look at our fancy aging stunt movie) won Best Picture.  And don't even get me started about American Sniper.

I have completed the first phase of the DASH diet.  It was a struggle, but I kept to it.  I am concerned about continuing progress while I add in more foods.  Portion control has never been my strong suit.

Visitation for Steve Bean is not until Friday, and the funeral Saturday.  They have family from North Carolina coming in.  Both visitation and the funeral will be at Grace Episcopal,  at the church that he so loved and that so loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment