Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Great Unanswered Question of the American 2010s: Saturday Political Soap Box 104

So, Tom, you have my curiosity up.  What is the great unanswered question of the American 2010s?

Why, interesting you should ask that.

It is a question that I have been asking since the decade started, and have not gotten one coherent answer.

It is this:

ATTENTION CONSERVATIVES AND OBAMA DERIDERS!

What plan do you have to replace Obamacare that will insure as many or more people?

Do you understand?  I don't care that you want to repeal Obamacare.  I don't care how much you foam at the mouth at it, or our President.  I want to know what you're going to replace it with.

I don't care when you say you're not a politician and you don't have to come up with an alternative.  You just know by God what you hate, and you want it gone.  Well, too bad so sad.  If you're going to strip MILLIONS from access to decent health care, you're not going to leave those people vulnerable.  You've got to demonstrate how your plan takes care of those people and MORE.

I mean, surely, you don't intend for things to go back to the way they were.  Do you want more bankruptcies?  Do you want more people denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions?  Do you want people to be solely dependent on the whims of their employer for decent health care?  Do you want young people to be kicked off their parent's plan too soon and not be able to get coverage on their own?  Do you not like that the arc of cost for health care and insurance has finally started to slow?  Do you not like the fact that Obamacare is reducing the deficit and not increasing it?

It's true that Obamacare has added a layer of complication to an already complicated income tax process.  As a CPA, I can tell you it has been a real pain in the posterior region.  Add it to the list of the strange, quirky things our tax code does.

It's anecdotally  true that some people's health insurance costs have gone up, a few dramatically.  Some had plans that were inadequate, offering little protection, and had to replace them with more comprehensive plans - surprise! - they cost more!  Some private insurance companies steered their insurers to more expensive plans, blamed it on Obamacare, without the insured checking out the exchanges or other options to find if there was a better deal.  Some were hurt by regional price variations in the exchanges - which I feel is the very worst part of Obamacare.

The flaw in Obamacare isn't the government (although far from perfect, it technically can be controlled by a vigilant press and an active, informed, voting citizenry), it's the private insurers and medical providers.  They're in it to maximize profits, even if it's at your expense.

So, for me, the alternative is easy.  Join the rest of the civilized world with a comprehensive universal health care system.  NO ONE SHOULD BE LEFT OUT!  As a CPA and numbers person, I know this is the most fiscally sound way to do it - spread the costs over everyone and minimize the vulturous middlemen.  As a Christian person with a moral conscience, I see it as the only way,

So for me, the alternative to Obamacare is easy.  We already have the system in place.  We just need to expand it - Medicare for All!  Yes, this may mean the contribution rate may have to increase but realize this - NO OTHER INSURANCE COSTS!

But, of course, my conservative friends, if you thought the overly privatized, Republican inspired version of Romneycare, the Affordable Care Act referred to as Obamacare, if you thought that was socialized medicine, I can't imagine what you think of Medicare for All.

So, again, I've been asking this question for FOUR YEARS with zero coherent response....


What plan do you have to replace Obamacare that will insure as many or more people?

Allowing across state competition will only gravitate plans to those states with the least amount of regulation and the worst coverage.  Eliminating medical malpractice will only diminish your rights and worsen medical standards -  I do not believe that studies show that eliminating malpractice suits reduces cost or expands coverage.

And let me blunt about this.  If your philosophy is that you just DON'T CARE who is insured or uninsured, and is only centered on your PERSONAL costs, then I am not interested in your opinion.  If civic and religious reasons are not enough to compel you to care about other people, than you fall outside the realm of this discussion.  You're not a conservative or a Republican.  You are a heartless, Ayn Randian self-centered monster, and I hate to think that it is your type of opinion that is driving the health care debate.


So one more time, my conservative friends....


What plan do you have to replace Obamacare that will insure as many or more people?

I will keep the light on for you.



3 comments:

  1. Tom, I know that you said you are a Progressive. I might be too, I don’t really know at this time in my life what political party I am. I was a Republican. The Republicans had good ideas but they can complicate change very easily by adding muddied amendments to legislation. A good example is Obamacare. Now that I am on Medicare, I reached the age of 67, I appreciate the help from the government to pay some part of my medical bills. When my wife and I owned our business, we had to “self-insure” for medical coverage. The cost of insurance was too expensive for us to afford. Luckily we were in good health and had few medical expenses.
    Sure Republicans are saying they have a better plan for health insurance reform, but the whole system still is in chao. The Supreme Court may decide the fate of Obamacare, but nevertheless it is our duty as citizens and Christians to care for the needy- homeless families, their children, and the aged. Basic health care is fundamental and should be available to all the people.
    Since the Republicans have won control of the Congress, I hope to see them do the right thing for the people. Providing health insurance to all should be a top priority, but protecting our country from Islamic extremism, in my opinion is the number one priority. Please no whining about this. Its time the Republicans take action, they control the purse strings now. No more Cheney-disinformation, lets help the Arabs fight their fight against ISIS, and lets help Israel stay free. Congress has the might to help the Arab countries in the region to solve their own problems, before those problems move to America, and without putting sizable US troops on Mideast soil. No more US disasters in the Mideast. It’s happened too often. David Rollison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your kind and thoughtful response. I agree that, as a Christian and a moral person, we need to do everything we can to help people in times of medical crisis, regardless of what the government and/or private insurers do or don't do. As for the Mideast, I hope you have read enough of my stuff to know that I am internationalist, not an isolationist. I believe we should use use diplomacy first and foremost, counterintelligence wisely, and military force rarely and judiciously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While what you say makes some sense there are still many who have no insurance so this coverage for all is a myth that will cost many even those uninsured money as you know being a CPA but medicare and medicade are losing money to pay for the ACA so for those retired will have to pay more as it pays less and another medical care plan that the government runs the VA we see how great its going I know little about how the republicians plan to fix it but it seem one payer system is the only way as much as i hate the sound of it maybe it is the choice people will have to get over long waits as it will be a result and we will have to give doctors more money and help more with there education as ther primary incentive was the money they made

    ReplyDelete