Monday, June 15, 2015

Blockbuster Weekend and Other Monday Musings



Yes, we were part of the millions that saw Jurassic World this weekend.  We went to the time and expense to see it at an IMAX theater in 3-D.

Was it worth it?

Oh, yes.  Very much so.

It was a formulaic thrill ride, with stereotypical characters, but that didn't stop it from being very impressive indeed.  It felt like you were visiting a real theme park, and the dinosaurs seemed very real, with characters and expressions that almost topped their human counterparts.

This movie is the reason that it is still worth taking in the big screen experience.  I love the movies.  I love the thrill ride.  It's the reason I set up the Facebook group Ripping Good Yarns, to celebrate the joy of the storytelling art forms, and a love of melodrama.  Enjoy the group if you can find it.


----------------------------------

We also visited Chamblin Bookmine in Jacksonville.  I have been to many bookstores all over the country, but I have never been to one larger and more intriguing than this labyrinth of books only about an hour and a half from where I live.  It's maze-like structure and almost underground feel is the closest I come to achieving my one great, recurring dream, of a huge underground library that exists beneath my house.


-----------------------------------

Saturday night we ate at the Strickland's, a new family in our church (well, they have been there a year or so), who wanted to share a meal with church members.  They opened up their home, and three or four dozen of us had a great meal and wonderful conversation.

----------------------

Benjamin and I binged the last three episodes of The Flash.  It was fantastic, and I was thrilled beyond measure of how Jay Garrick's Flash helmet came out of the time vortex.  My theory is that Barry Allen's mother is a Garrick, and that the Speed Force is at least in part inherited.  But we'll see next season!

-------------------------

Speaking of theories, another off the hook season finale of Game of Thrones was on last night.  For those worried about it's ending, let me remind you of a few things...1) Danerys is fire 2) Jon SNOW is ice 3) the subtitle of the book series is A Story of Fire and Ice 4) Ghost 5) Bran 6) Mellisandre.  Just chill and let the story take it's course.

The final three episodes of Game of Thrones this season has been among the very best television episodes I have ever seen, from ANY series.  They have diverged some from the books, but have still remained true to the central theme.  I'm willing to love both the books and the TV show, each on their own terms.

--------------------------

It was a good weekend, but it was a failure as far as fiction writing goes.  I only completed three paragraphs on a Crowley Story.  I hope I can get back on course.  I am anxious to finish my second novel.

Until next time,

T. M .Strait









No comments:

Post a Comment