Monday, March 28, 2016

Day After Easter Monday Musings

I was very shocked Sunday to hear of the passing of Maxine Higginson.  She was the beloved wife and best friend of the partner of the firm I work at, Bill Higginson.  She was the mother to two fine sons, and to a good number of fine, strong and attractive grandchildren.

The cancer that ended her life was not discovered until January.  Roughly two months later, she was gone. This was a surprise to me, and to many others.  The mother of my two older boys, and my first wife, had four or five years after being diagnosed with stage four cancer.  You hear of so many that battle cancer so much longer than what we were used to years ago, that sometimes you thing we've turned a corner, and are making significant progress against that dread disease.

I pray that we continue to improve our ability to conquer cancer, and the other diseases that take so much from us, including the scourge of Alzheimer's, where people lose grasp of the memories that are so precious to us.

I don't know what else to say now.  I'm still in shock.  The Strait family sends it's thoughts, prayers, support and love to all the Higginsons.   Maxine leaves a beautiful legacy in a bright, loving family, a kind and generous family that are such a blessing to our corner of the world.


----------------------------

Easter at our church was beautiful, a string of services culminating in the hope and resurrection that is the empty tomb.  I was ale to go to all of the major services (Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday).  I served as LEM (Lay Episcopal Minister) at the Good Friday service, and even though I had been assisting for years, found out too late that if there is a great deal of the wine left, that the LEM can finish it off.  I thought the priest had to do that, only to find her handing it to the other LEM to drink. I could have done that, but I didn't know any better.  Now I do.

-----------------------------------

Benjamin came back to us late Saturday night after having spent the last three nights in Orlando and Disney World with his Musical Theatre class and the Girl's Chorus, who performed at Epcot on Friday.  So he was down there with more than two dozen girls and just six boys.  Had I been in his place, well, I don't know if I would have spent my time just with the guys.  But what can I say?  He's just a Freshman, so there's time.

---------------------

I am afraid my writing has been somewhat limited this last week.  I have been suffering from serious back, hip and leg pain that is particularly severe in the morning.  It makes it difficult to sit and write.  Things are slightly better this morning.  I went to a chiropractor Friday, the first time in over thirty years. I do believe they can help some - they've been very helpful to Alison - but I don't want to get in the habit of going regularly.

---------------------------

Saturday I was able to wait until later in the day to write, and I was able to knock out  two "letters", one to Bernie Supporters and the other to Hillary Supporters.  Basically, all these differences between us are interesting, but they must be resolved,  so that at the convention we can unite to face down Sauron.

Let the miracle of the Bernie bird show us the way!

Until next time,

T. M .Strait






No comments:

Post a Comment