Monday, March 14, 2016

Play's Wake Monday Morning Musings



The play is done.

For me, there is not a new one coming, at least for awhile.

I am left with the accounting reality, made even more intense because of the time of year it is.

Not having been in a musical since 2001, and never having performed one on the Ritz stage, I was struck by the number of people who assisted at all levels.  There was a lot of people on stage acting, but that was only the tip of those involved.  We had Director with two Assistant Directors, a Choral Director, a Music Director, lighting and sound people, a band of fifteen or more, a choreographer, a costumer, and many more. It was an awesome effort, involving many, many people.

One of the great things about these huge musical productions is that we have multiple family members involved.  Children and parents, cousins and friends, newcomers and veterans - just an incredible range of people.  There a variety of religions and ethnicities, diverse political opinions and cultural interests.  But everyone is working together to achieve a common goal - to entertain hundreds and a have a blast while doing it.

I want to thank all those who took the time to show me friendship and kindness in the show.  KImberly Beck, it was a great pleasure to finally perform with you and Emily on the WACT stage.  Taylor Hereford, our marvelous Music Man, you are a great talent and a generous and kind person.  Brittany Peacock, it was wonderful to get to know you and my other stage daughters better, including Emily Beck, Mallan Gill, Amara Grace Jeffords and Taylor Mulkey.  It was a blast being able to talk to so many others, including Tom Etheridge, Brenda Luke and my stage "wife", Nikki Spivey.

It's going to be difficult not being in the next one.  There were many of my friends whom I was hoping to work with again  I encouraged them to try out, and then I let them down by failing to get cast.  It was the first time I'd fallen short in some thirty years, and the very first time I failed at the community theatre level (the other three failures were at theatres that were more professional or semi-professional).  I will miss the most the opportunity to act onstage with my good friend, Anita Lynn.  She had been in two other plays where I was not able to try out, so I thought we were finally in sync, but alas, that was not the case.

Theatre has been vital in my life in helping me get through the long tax season, helping me face spending so much time doing something that is well, something I do to keep the lights on.  The May play is especially important as it helps give me light at the end of the tunnel.

But I have other interests to keep me spinning ahead, and a wonderful, loving family.  And even if I can't be onstage with them, I have looking  forward to seeing so many of my friends from the viewpoint of an audience member.

And we can't forget - March Madness!  Go Wolverines and Spartans!

Better start filling out my bracket now!






No comments:

Post a Comment