Tuesday, February 7, 2017

OHC Writer's Guild Poetry Contest Winner: Oh Him by Cristina Relyea




Cristina Relyea is our third place winner from our 3rd Annual Writer's Contest  held last November.  She is a dedicated member of the Writer's Guild, and her daughter, Myra, was a winner in our Student Poetry division.  


Oh Him
by Cristina Relyea

Bob and weave, bob and weave, why won't she look at me?
I puffed up my black and white feathers and showed her every angle of me
But not a sideways glance or a hint for she is a great tease.

After a long day of dancing furiously, I flew home to my favorite tree
Eating a  few bugs on the way and thought of all the ways to make her love me.

The next day I studied my reflection in the pond.  What I saw staring back at me was the same
great silky black and startling white as he.

I flew over to where I knew she'd be.
She was alone blinking in to the sun.  I bowed up my feathers and did my best mating 
dance.
When I looked her way, I saw to my great surprise she was looking right at me.
Dumbstruck I stood for a few minutes taking in her beauty.  She was giving me that come hither
stare and in my mind I saw the many great flights we would take, the bugs we would eat, the
cows we would perch on, the snuggles in each other's soft plumage, and the beautiful chicks
we would make.

Suddenly...
(Gasp)
Something stabbed me in my back, I lost my balance and fell over.
As I was righting myself, I looked up just in time to see her leave with the mighty half inch taller
than me.  He.

No comments:

Post a Comment