Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Peak Season Wednesday Wanderings



It's not quite half-way yet, but it will be soon.  Tomorrow will be Day 54 of a 108 day tax season.  It has been a long and wearing season, mostly because I have hopes of further cutting back on accounting profession hours after the season is over.  I don't like to think of it as retirement as much as opening hours up to pursue the kinds of things I have wanted to do all my life.  Some will be remunerative.  Some will not.

-----------------------------

Out local Congressman, Buddy Carter, is having a town hall meeting today.  Unfortunately, it's at 2:30, and this is very problematic given that it is tax season.  I'm not sure I have any coherent questions anyways.  It takes a lot of preparation for me to speak extemporaneously in public, and I haven't had much time to prepare for that. It would be real nice to see - it would be fun to see a liberal version of my Crowley story, Winston's Last Town Hall.

---------------------------------

The most upsetting thing about this area is that people like Buddy Carter wind up running unopposed. Many of them don't have a primary opponent, much less a Democratic opponent.  People should not just be able to waltz into power.  The fact that this gulag style of politics doesn't bother people here is very disturbing to me.

-------------------------------

Public schools are the core of Democracy.  Their major purpose is to help create an informed citizenry.  Maybe the importance of competitive elections would be more valued if Civics was restored to the center of the public school curriculum.

----------------------------

I am going to be The Diary of Anne Frank again!  Much of the cast from last year is back, including the young and talented Emily Beck as Anne Frank.  This year I am pleased to announce that my son, Benjamin, will play Peter!  I am so proud and happy to be in a play with him again!

-----------------------------------

This isn't much today, is it?  I want to thank all of those who have regularly read The Strait Line, and/or my columns, Amazon ebooks, and the novel History of the Trap.  I know it's not easy, because I am thematically all over the map, but I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.  It's what helps keep me going.

Wanderingly Yours,

T. M. Strait








No comments:

Post a Comment