Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Pancake Aversion Therapy



Today is Shrove Tuesday. It is also called Fat Tuesday.  It's the day before the beginning of Lent, a time of contemplation and sacrifice.  So the idea is to enjoy an indulgence of fatty foods before the "fasting" begins.  Yes, it's largely symbolic nowadays.  Although many Christians (those that observe Lent) do give up some things, such as chocolate or sodas, pizza or ice cream, and other sacrifices that may not involve food, I can't say there are many who give up fats altogether.

In our church, Grace Episcopal, Shrove Tuesday is recognized and celebrated with a pancake supper. I think this has been an event every year for a very long time, certainly in the almost two decades I have been going there.

I have never been to the Shrove Tuesday supper.  I probably will never go.

Why?  Am I too busy with tax season?  I could make time if it was a priority.  But I don't.  Why?

Because of that terrible night when I was in high school.

We went on a field trip, all the way to Detroit, us theater/choir students, to see Nanette Fabray in No No, Nanette.  It was a spectacular production, and when it was done, we made our way back home.  Before arriving back in Bridgeport, it was decided that we would have supper.  They picked a large, popular local restaurant near Flint.  It's specialty?  All you can eat pancakes.

My friend, Evans Bentley, challenged me to a pancake eating contest.  I took him on - we teenagers can do anything, remember?

Memory does not serve me who won or lost.  Even though I was fatter, it was probably him.  He had the metabolism gained from cross country running, and I doubt I could compete with that.  But I tried.  And I tried.  And I made myself as sick as a dog.  My stomach ached for the next few days. There were other results that I will not go into.

Ever since, the very thought of pancakes for supper makes me nauseous.

I don't actually hate the taste of pancakes.  On rare occasions, I have had one or two for breakfast. A couple of years ago, we ate pancakes in Nashville at their famous Pancake House. That's the last time I remember having them.

But pancakes for supper?

I'm sorry.  I just can't bring myself to do it.  Even though this year, Alison and Benjamin and MeeMaw will all be going.

Maybe I'll swing by Hardee's and get one of their Double Decker Ultimate Thick-burgers.

Actually, that doesn't sound very good, either.









No comments:

Post a Comment