Monday, April 10, 2017

Play's End Monday Musings

Two first rate up and coming young thespians, with an old, aging slice of ham.


Why do I continue to do this thing called theater?

Why do I continue this, in the face of my advancing age and declining abilities to memorize?

Why do so many of us, so devoted to our craft, put so much energy into a show that only around 50 people attended?

Because.

For me, there is nothing like the thrill of getting into character, opening up another world, connecting with an audience (be they a thousand or a dozen).  And with a play like Anne Frank, there is the knowledge of conveying a powerful, important message, especially important in this age of Trump and the swirling intolerances all that has brought forth.

But there is something special now, too.  I am witnessing the new generation come into it's own.  I cannot begin to tell you what a joy it was to perform with my talented son, Benjamin, and Emily Beck, the consummate young actress in this area.  I have watched, with each of them, their talent grow more and more each year.

-------------------------------------

I usually am depressed after a play is over, struggling to make the adjustment back into the real world.  It is especially difficult given the time of year.  I don't want to get back in the submarine.  I don't.  I don't.  I don't.

But I get back in anyways. No one has secretly paid off our mortgage, and no one has given me a six figure advance for one of my books.  So.....periscope down!

-----------------------------------------

Syria.  What can I say?  I'm not a foreign policy expert.  I can only guess that Trump did the bombing he did based on solid intelligence - you know, from those same agencies he has so vastly disrespected.  And it was also mighty nice of him to warn the Russians ahead of time.  You would think, since he cares so much about Syrian children, that he would be more open to refugees, but I guess that concept escapes him.

We have dismantled the State Department.  We have demoralized the intelligence community.  We have left as our only foreign policy saber-rattling and bullying.

Please forgive me, but I don't see how this ends well.

------------------------

Holy Week has begun.  It's a difficult week for me to participate, but I will do what I can.  I got nothing else to say about it right now, but I did want my fellow Episcopalians to know that I was at least aware of it.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait










No comments:

Post a Comment