Monday, July 17, 2017

A Strand of Monday Musings


Jesup and The Strand are not tilted.  My camera is.  Photography is not a particular skill set of mine. Yet I know from my tats that blog stories with pictures get more views.

Anywho..... The Strand Theater in Jesup...we finally got out to it last Saturday.  Many of our friends had made us curious as to what the experience might be like.   So when we decided to see War for the Planet of the Apes, we chose to drive the extra twenty minutes it would take to get there, as opposed to the Waycross Mall Cinemas.

The seats were plush and roomy, recliners that you had full control over, and a tray table you could move towards you or out of the way.  They reminded me of the passenger seats in WALL-E, except they didn't hover or move (at least I didn't try that). I think every seat in the house had a full view of the screen, although I have a feeling the front two rows may have felt too close up.

They had a full complement of food, and we tried a couple of hamburgers, a hot dog, and fries.  It was served right to your seat.  It was slightly delayed because they seemed to be having power concerns, and had warned us the power might go out, in the kitchen, and maybe even the movie, too.   Whatever problems must have been worked out, as there were no interruptions in service.

The food was okay, but I did not really like eating in the dark, and I might stick to more traditional theater fare the next time I come.

The movie itself was brilliant, and a logical, seamless step towards the future presented in the original movie. I highly recommend it, and the entire series.



This is Benjamin, standing in the lobby of The Strand.

Jesup also has one of the few functioning drive ins in the USA.  The city is smaller than Waycross, but has a unique display of movie options, and some interesting restaurants.  I don't know about their community theatre - someone who lives there might want to let me know.

-------------------------------

Game of Thrones started last night!  It was awesome, of course, and beyond the books that I have read, so I have no idea where it is going.  I have a theory, but right now, I'll keep it to myself (hint: the subtitle of the books is A SONG OF FIRE & ICE).

Of course, Facebook is deluged right now with supporters and fans, but also those who feel it important to make the point that they've never watched an episode.  Great.  I have no idea why they feel the need to say that.  I don't declare in bright memes that I've never watched NCIS, or Duck Dynasty, or Fox & Friends.

----------------------------


I have either one or two weeks left of full time work schedule.  Probably two, but we'll see.  Anywho, it's getting close, and I'm both excited and stressed.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait












3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the info about The Strand. I wonder if they'll show cerebral movies. I remember the theater here in Waycross thought we were not sufficiently intelligent enough to bring a movie here. What was it? Lincoln? I can't remember the movie, but I've only been to the Waycross theater one time since, and that was because I had company in town and they wanted to see newest Star Wars. Maybe the Strand is more my style.

    GoT is looking promising. The writer gave an interview about it last year. He explained that he had not finished the season yet and he wasn't sure where to go with it. One thing is for sure: winter has arrived. I was freezing just watching it. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lincoln, yes. And they great delayed the showing of Les Miserable. And they've never shown a Michael Moore movie, but they have shown vitally every right wing diatribe, and fundamentalist Christian movie that has ever come down the pike. I think the Strand will concentrate on blockbusters, at least that is the impression I get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard great things about The Strand! (I didn't know it was called that. I've just heard it called the Jesup theatre.) My mom and dad get the fries and sweet tea! We'd like to see a movie there soon!
    My parents, my brother, my sister and I went to the drive-in one time. We all had a great time, but Mom and Dad enjoyed the experience a little more, being in the front seat with a better view and better sound. ;-) I want to go to a drive-in with my husband. We should go to the Jesup one!

    ReplyDelete