Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Social Media Madness

I have about had it with social media.

A dangerous thing, perhaps, when I'm about ready to cut back my accounting work, and do things that rely on social media for promotion and success.

But still, I've about had it.

It's my own fault.  An introvert that battles with selective mutism, I find social situations awkward and difficult, particularly with people I don't know well.  I either don't talk at all, or I babble on about not much of anything.  So, in some ways, social media has been a blessing, as it is easier for me to communicate in writing than it is in person or over the phone.

I have "friends", but most of them are confined to whatever group I'm in that I'm connected to with them.  I have many theater friends, but few whom I see or talk to outside of whatever production I'm in with them. Same holds true for work, church, or politically affiliated groups.

I thought of social media as a way to fill that gap.  It works, sort of.  I have high school connections that I'd never thought I would have again.  But I'm as likely to get one who wants to criticize my politics as one who, regardless of politics, wants to connect with me as a person.

It's taken me awhile to figure out, but I'm beginning to realize, for the most part, that the friendships I have on social media, are just as shallow as the ones I have in real life, if not more so.  When I withdraw from Facebook, as I did to a degree during Lent, everything seems to go as normal. Nobody misses me, nobody tries to touch base, it's as if I never mattered.

Although I can tell by the site page view counter in my blog, that my posts are being seen, I get very little feedback, or likes, or anything from them.  If I post a family picture, I am likely to get a lot of likes.  If I post something political, I get a fair number of likes, and other reactions.  But my blog posts?  Two likes would be a big showing.

I posted a link to a story about the latest in the Trump Treason Scandal, with the caption Game Over, and the reaction I got was not from Trumpeteers, but from liberal friends who wanted to argue with me about how it wasn't over, about how what they've done so far is not technically illegal.  I was prepared to get gruff from Trumpeteers.  I was not prepared to get assaulted from allies.  It kind of broke me.

I will continue with social media, but I realize now it's not my friend.  Acquaintances? Yes. Superficial connections? Yes.  Deeper friendships?  They have to be built on something more.  And that's going to be difficult for someone who has struggled with shyness all his life.

I think this is stemming from the fact that I will be soon switching to a greater retirement from the job I've known for over thirty years, accounting, and I fear that it may backfire, and I just wind up more isolated.  Fear of the new, fear of change, I guess.

No one needs to get over absorbed with this.  I'm just trying to work out some feelings of worry, doubt, and potential isolation.  After everything is said and done, writing does help me work through things.

I'll get there.  Just with  a more skeptical eye as to what social media can and can't do.  And that may be a good thing.









8 comments:

  1. I am with you about social media...it's a love and hate relationship with me. I try to stay connected and yet I am awful about sharing my thoughts. I really enjoy your writing and admire your courage to write about what is dear to you. Stay true to yourself...and I am waiting for more books by T.M. Strait. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Crowley Stories finished but I'm waiting for my semi-retirement before I attempt to publish it. The good news is that is only about two and a half weeks away!

      Delete
    2. Wow! Both great news...semi-retirement and another book to publish. I can't wait to see this book in print!

      Delete
  2. Yes, the social media thing....I'm love/hate, also. I am an extrovert by nature. I love to meet new people and can quickly get personal in my conversations, which gives me a false sense of a close trusting friendship. If i open up to someone and he or she reciprocates, every single time, I think we are life long friends. That kind of trust has bitten me in the ass so many times that it has left scars. Funny though, I just keep doing it. Entering into the social media world, I carry the same behavior. Jump in! Immediate BFFs! I forget that I don't even know some of the people in my social media life. Again, I have that "false sense of a close trusting friendship." Again, it has bitten me in the ass. But, you know what? Through social media, I have found people with the same philosophies about life, love, politics, religion, etc, and while I cannot be very vocal about my political beliefs, I know there are true friends out there with a wink and a nod or a "like", a "love", or a "laugh" emoji...just a lil click verifies and validates the friendship. One little "like" click on a comment I make in an argument makes me feel like I have backup and friendship, much like you have done for me many times in arguments against trumpeteers. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to jump through the computer to hug your neck for being there for me. So, I guess we keep on keeping on.....feel the hugs.
    Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree, and find myself doing the same things, but from an introvert's perspective. I appreciate what you've said a great deal, and it has given the courage to keep soldiering on.

      Delete
  3. My love/hate relationship with social media is that it has made us, as a society, less social. Too many have their head down looking at their phones.

    I know you're an introvert but all the years I knew you in school I thought of you as an intelligent, talented, really nice guy with great parents. Even though your dad was our principal! :) Thanks to social media I've been able to reconnect with childhood friends and cousins that I lost touch with, classmates from across the country, and made new friends who I've met in person and they are now "real" friends. That's what keeps me plugging away on social media even though some days I curse it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. There are many positive aspects of social media, especially in connecting with people that we would not have otherwise. Had it not been for social media, Alison and I would have visited Portland, not realizing there were people I used to know living there, and had the opportunity to meet in person as we did. I'm just jittery as I prepare to step into this new phase of my life's journey.

      Delete