Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Diary of the Final Day as a Full-Time Accountant

Dear Diary,

I'm glad it's just you and me, and I can share how I feel without worrying about what other people think.

Okay, well, that's the way it used to be.  Now blogs have become like public diaries,  I have no idea how someone would piece together my life from the 1500 plus entries I have made.  Well, really, it probably could be done, but I'm not sure there's anyone interested enough to do so.

Nevertheless, Diary, here it is.  My last day as a full-time accountant, presented in real-time updates, as the day progresses.

5:15

Woke up.

5:17

Got out of bed.

5:21

Dragged a shower across my head.

5:43

Got dressed.  Zoned out for awhile while thinking about putting on shoes.

6:01

Who let the dogs out?  I did.  Then I started the coffee maker.

6:05

Brought them back in.  Fed cat and the four dogs, ours and a foster.  Took my blood pressure pill and a vitamin, using orange juice as a pill delivery system.  I have a tough time swallowing pill, and orange has the right taste and viscosity in order to help me do it.  I prepreparated our coffee cups (Stevia, powder creamer, ting bit of natural sugar).  I poured mine, adding liquid creamer.

6:15

Came to computer.  Baffled as what to write today.  Had the brainstorm to do this diary.

6:34

Posting initial entries.  If this goes right, I should update throughout the day and re-post frequently.

At least, that's the theory.
6:45
Breakfast.  Toast on 12-grain bread, with Irish butter, fruit spread from local farm-to-table (The Farmer's Larder) and locally grown honey.  Picked the Song of the Day (I've Got You Under My Skin performed by Frank Sinatra).
7:11
After talking with Alison, brushing my teeth, I select a tie to wear.  I pick a Looney Tunes tie (T-t-that's All, Folks!).
7:15
Start the long car journey to Waycross.
7:41
Log in at work, same time as my work compatriot, Dean.  Thought I could beat him in this last full-time day, but alas, not to be.  I have enough time in to leave about 4:30.  We'll see if that happens or not.
7:58
Record work time sheet - accounting for time spent on different client's yesterday.  I have numbered every assignment I have gotten since I began here in June 1999.  Currently, the last assignment recorded was #10,675.  I will not miss having to track all my time.  Most of the assignments I get on my new part time schedule will be special assignments that will involve less complicated time tracking (I hope).
8:12
Checked my business email for any quirky or weird last minute requests.  Nothing but junk in that trunk.
8:23
Checked personal email, where I occasionally get client emails.  Nothing that will involve action from me.  Did find out the church calendar, and that I will be a lector August 27th.  I need to create a calendar on my phoney thing, as I'm getting more and not less meeting requests and demands for my time.  This new schedule may actually make me busier!
8:39
Guess I better start on a client now.  This diary may be get wonky, as I won't be discussing specific clients. 
9:35
Okay, okay.  I can tell you this.  Most of my work today is preparation for a special assignment that I will be working on the part time era.  It does not involve espionage or a James Bond weaponized attaché case,  'Nuff said.
10:43
Starting the process of informing my clients that someone else will be the primary on their account after today.  Some I have been doing their accounting work for over 18 years.
11:26
Fixing to take down my "wall of theater posters" that I used to help remind that there was more to me than just accounting.




12:54  No one is stampeding to have lunch with me, so I'm going to get my favorite sub from Firehouse - Meatball - and bring back something for Dean.
2:20
Talking with Chris Arney about some of the stuff I'm leaving and where people can find it.  Although accounting is something I've longed to do less of for years, the people who I have worked with here have made it much more comfortable and enjoyable.  Chris Arney has always been friendly and helpful to me, and thank goodness, she appreciates my sense of humor.  Dean Crane, my fellow "accountant in the attic" has been a good buddy all these years (he started here in 2001), and although our politics don't match, we have found many more commonalities in family, faith, and shared media/sports.  We have been there to answer each other's questions, keeping us both on track and doing a better job due to our support of each other.


















2:49
A lot of stuff going into the shredder that I have kept way past the date required to keep.
3:33
Only about another hour to go before the hours I need for the week are completed.  I think it's slowly starting to sink in, for me, and for the others here.
4:01
Starting to stock my car with personal effects. Got three boxes of stuff.
4:11
To the different friends over the years who've helped me stay sane with messages and support and occasional lunches, including Kimberly and Emily, and Julianna, among many others, I thank you.  To the many clients who have treated me with kindness and cooperation, I thank you.  To my church friends and theatre friends and others who have helped keep life rich and interesting, I thank you.  Most importantly, for Alison and Benjamin, for their love and patience with me, and for giving me the time to write and act, I thank you.  I look forward to a continued relationship with all of you as I enter this next phase, with both much anticipation but with also some worry and concern.  I will strive to be equal to all of you in support, friendship and love.
4:33
Just checked out, thereby ending my full time accounting career!  Huzzah!





1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Tom! I love the theatre posters, especially Dixie Swim Club! :-D I hope you enjoy retirement!

    ReplyDelete