Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Wandering Like It's Wednesday

Not really apropos of anything, but it's sweet to point out that I have a book at the library!  Thanks, Benjamin!


It's Wednesday again!  Time for another day of non-routine routine!

Gonna start the day with a wee bit of writing.  The Extra Credit Club is in the penultimate chapter now, and I feel like I'm close to the conclusion of the first draft.  Will be there be editing after the draft is done?  Oh, sure - some.  But I edit quite a bit as I go along - not what some of my writing gurus suggest, but it's the way that's most comfortable to me.  Then the book will be put into the hands of a few Beta readers to see if further refinements are needed.  It's also good to know if it reads the way you think it reads.

------------------------------

Then I take a brief visit to Purlie Production's Drama Camp.  I'll take questions about their script in development - the campers are writing their own play to perform at the end of the camp.  I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'm going to give it a try.

------------------------------------

Next is the ol' workplace.  I may have a few assignments, but it's a mystery as to how much work and how long.  I'm in the substitute teaching phase of the year - I'll come in if I'm called in and there is an assignment to do.

When some of the staff message me and ask me if I'm coming in, I have to get used to the fact that it's not that they want to see me - it's they have something they want me to do.

Psychologically, I don't know how suited I am to being a substitute teacher (re: accountant).  My first instinct is always to say I'm busy with something else.  My mind plans ahead to other things, and that thing is never going into work.  But what can I do?  I like the people I work with, and despite my best efforts, the bills don't stop coming.  And it's looking more and more likely that the next great American novel is NOT going to be mine.

-----------------------------------

After that, I come back home!  What I do may depend on how much time I have and what most interests me.   I've got some books I've been reading, including Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood (her most famous book is The Handmaid's Tale).  Hag-seed is about an avant-garde theatrical production of The Tempest.

I'm also reading The Mueller Report.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure what's in it.  But I want to see for myself, and I want to be able to ask my Trumpeteer friends - HAVE YOU READ THE REPORT?  I have a feeling if more of them would read it, their little snowflakes would melt and then evaporate under the searing flames of truth.

Well, probably not.  But one can dare dream, can't one?

-----------------------------------

I'm currently streaming Arrow Season 7.  I see an episode or two a week,  It's not too bad.  I like how they are flash-forwarding now instead of running their periodic flashbacks.

-------------------------------------

We are going to be preparing stir fry tonight.  We're having stuff this week that Alison and I like because Benjamin is off at camp this week.  Soon, starting mid-August, all our meals will be Alison and me, as Benjamin starts college three hours away.  He'll be back some weekends and breaks, but that's a lot of meals we have without him.

Yep, the fact that he's heading out soon is starting to get real.

-------------------------

We'll watch The Amazing Race, our favorite reality competition.  It's the one where we originally speculated that we might want to do.  But we're observing more and more challenges, particularly around heights, where we just say  - oh, yeah.  That's one where instead of doing it we'd just have to drop out!

----------------------------

Alison will probably go to bed after that.  She is on a four day work week for the summer.  The good news is she gets Fridays off.  The bad news is she has to get up extra early in the morning and stay later in the afternoon.

Me?  I stay up.  I normally only sleep for about five to six hours.  Should I sleep more?  Maybe.  But my body simply does not allow me to do that.  So I've just gone with it all these years, healthy or not.  

I will probably catch the last first season episode of Black Spot, a French mystery show set in a woods where cell reception is poor, and electronics are wonky, and murders are frequent.  The second season drops on Netflix on Friday, so I might continue on.  Or I might switch to season 3 of Sneaky Pate on Amazon Prime.

Yeah.  I like scripted television.  Sue me.

----------------

You do realize sue me is just rhetorical, right?

--------------

Wanderingly yours,

T. M. Strait




 


















No comments:

Post a Comment