Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My WACT Picks

Waycross Area Community Theatre (WACT)  is a-fixing to have it's 40th season starting in the fall of next year.  That is an incredible record of endurance and success.  I'm not sure there is that many community theatres with that kind of longevity and positive contribution.

I had the pleasure of performing with WACT starting in 1997 in A Christmas Carol, where I had the privilege, thanks to the director Gus Darden, of playing Scrooge.  It was a great role and one of the highlights of my life.  Since then, I have been a couple dozen productions spanning the last fifteen years.  I have had the opportunity to play an incredible variety of roles, and even direct a time or two.

Currently I am not involved in WACT.  I have made a commitment to do everything I can to help children's theatre thrive in this area, particularly in assisting the Flying Dragon Arts Center.  But I do miss WACT and hope to get involved back with it sometime.

They have made suggestions of past shows, and as to what the patrons might prefer them do.  For whatever it's worth, here are my choices:

Comedy:  Harvey  This is a play fraught with meaning to me, as it is the first play I ever did, way back in high school.  I played, as a freshman, an extremely elderly judge in the play.  It was the beginning of what would almost inevitably me being cast as the oldest male character in a play.  Over the course of years, this remained true.  I just required less and less makeup to look old.  Harvey is an excellent play, very funny and charming, with a great theme.  I was surprised that many of my younger friends had no idea what this play is. I think it's time to reintroduce this area to Elwood P Dowd and his amazing friend. Others being considered (and highlighting those I've done before): The Odd Couple (although the one I did was the female version), No Sex Please - We're British, On Golden Pond and Kiss the Bride.

Musical: Music Man  I have no nostalgic connection to this.  I've just never seen it performed onstage before, and it sounds like it would be a lot of fun.  Good all age cast.  Great small town theme.  Others being considered (and highlighting those I've done before): Guys and Dolls, Wizard of Oz, Cinderella and You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown.

Christmas: A Christmas Carol  Sorry.  My all time favorite.  The one show I could be in again and again and again.  What a great story.  What a great lesson for us all. Others being considered (and highlighting those I've done before): The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, It's A Wonderful Life. Miracle on 34th Street, A Child's Christmas in Wales.


Drama: A Streetcar Named Desire Another gem I haven't had the privilege of seeing onstage.  Although, not to go off list, the play I most want to be in and see done anywhere at anytime is Inherit the Wind.  There is no better play,no  more intense courtroom drama than this drama.  I am hoping that someday this incredible production graces the stage of WACT.  Others being considered (and highlighting those I've done before): Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, A Streetcar Named Desire, Driving Miss Daisy, Dracula, Dial M for Murder.

Congratulations, WACT!!!  To this season, to your 40th season, and many more seasons  to come!

3 comments:

  1. Tom, I agree with anything Tennessee Williams and most definitely Inherit the Wind!Great list you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,
    Have you sent in your votes or should I pull them from here?

    For the record - the play reading committee has looked at Inherit the Wind for the past two years but it is such a huge cast (especially of men) that the committee doesn't think we will be able to get it cast.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Thank you, Rhonda, and consider that my vote! I do appreciate all the hard work you and the play selection committee has done...this year, among others, has been truly outstanding! As for Inherit the Wind, I know that you have been considering it in recent years and it means a lot to me that it has been thought of as a possibility! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete