Monday, December 3, 2012

Packing It Ip and Other Monday Musings

Yes, the ip in the title is a deliberate Malaprop.  I have no idea why.  Which is probably not a good thing.  But oops, there it is!

Our house closings, both the one we're selling and the one we're buying are scheduled to close December 10th.  We also already have our rental house arranged and could move into that anytime.  But of course we're waiting for the other two houses to close.

We've started to pack in greater earnest.  And discovered that we have accumulated a lot of ......stuff.  Some of it waves nostalgia over me as memories of what it means to me and recalling certain events or people come flooding back.  Other things I see and go, "Why the heck didn't we have a yard sale?" and "Why did we hang on to this?  What the heck were we thinking?"

Amazingly, we've gotten a lot of different boxes from generous, thoughtful and kind friends.  Even more amazingly, we've filled most of them up and need more!

Alison spent the weekend away with her mother, antiquing in North Georgia, and seeing the So You Think You Can Dance (for me, I already know the answer) concert.  They go pretty much every year, and this year it was a special treat for Alison's mom celebrating her official retirement.

Meanwhile Benjamin and I stayed back, doing a variety of things.  I packed and cleaned, of course.  We also saw half of The Return of The King (half was over two hours!).  We visited the spanking new library that will be within walking distance of our new house.  It was very, very nice!  I do fear it being kept up with as Pierce County is fiercely conservative, and doesn't have a great history with spending that supports this kind of thing.  But it holds great promise, and after packing away so many books this weekend, I may finally appreciate the idea of borrowing rather than keeping!

Benjamin and I also had a great outing in Brunswick with our good friends, the Cooks.  We went to Pet Smart, where Benjamin and the Cook boys were delighted to see all the animals there.  The guinea pigs were articularly playful.  We were able to pick up rat chow and bedding for Benjamin's dumbo rats, Pinky and the Brain.  Karissa Cook was busy outfitting their new pet turtle in grand style, getting reptile lights and getting fun things to put in Zilla's new terrarium.

We ate at Broomelli Boy's Pizzeria.  I love it because you can get huge individual slices topped just the way you like it.  You don't have to worry about getting one pizza that has to please a number of diverse tastes.

We also went bowling, with Benjamin winning thanks to bumper guards.  Without bumper guards or talent, my score was somewhat less impressive.  Then the boys spent almost an hour in a video arcade, running from game to game.  I would like to tell you it wore them out, but I don't think it was THEM that got wore out!

I am also happy to report that my blog had a record number of page views in November: 2,246!  There is some noise that makes me wonder if the ads will be taken away, but I'm not sure, so we will see.  If they do stop, today is supposed to be the day, but it hasn't happened yet if it's supposed to.

Busy weekend!  Which meant there was little time to stress about politics, which all of my Strait Line readers who are not political junkies are probably grateful for!  And you are one of my political people, rest assured that something soon will get up my craw and I'll write about it!

Until next time,

T.M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment