Monday, December 31, 2012

Ending the Year in the Hoosegow and Other Monday Musings

It's the 31st.  Which means I have to go to prison today.  I have to report there at 10 AM.

Ending the year in such a way does give one reflection on the year that has passed.

We are in the midst of a complicated move.  We have sold our residence of seven years, only to move to a rental house while the house we purchased is being renovated. Our possessions seemed to be scattered throughout Pierce County. The renovation is mostly being managed by Alison and her father. I am trying hard not to feel too insecure as it goes on around me, knowing I have very little understanding or ability to participate in the process.  Even color selections seem to be beyond my capabilities to provide proper input.

I have watched Benjamin grow so much this year.  He is now just ever so slightly taller than his mother.  Sometimes when I catch him out of the corner of my eye, I no longer see a boy, but a young man.  He was confirmed in our church this year, and has moved from elementary to middle school.  He has joined the band, playing a baritone horn.  He is not perfect (it would actually scare me more if he was), but he has a good heart, is polite, has a good attention span and  is intellectually curious,

My father's health shows continual decline.  It is hard to watch such a strong man be able to do less and less for himself.  But he has been able to accommodate the changes with a quiet dignity that helps remind me what a great man he is. Alison's father has had some struggles this year too, and will need to go undergo additional treatment in January.  But we are hopeful that he can beat the medical problems he has, and come back stronger than ever.  Alison's mother has retired, and is helping more with Benjamin after school.  My middle son Doug got married this year, in two beautiful ceremonies, a traditional Hindu ceremony in Atlanta, and a gorgeous beach wedding at St. Simon's.

My career in accounting has dragged steadily on, but I was able to cut back a few hours.  I have watched this blog grow from a whim to something that I steadily contribute and has steadily grown the whole year.  I also co-wrote my first full-length play, Young Robin Hood.  And helped renew my commitment to children's theater and seeing it succeed.

I have developed some new close friendships this year, better than I've in decades.  That has been a great joy.  I have to control my insecurities, and achieve the right balance between trying too hard or not trying hard enough, but I'm doing my best.  This includes both friends whom I see in person every week, and friends I have become familiar with on the Facebook machine.  It has meant reconnecting with some high school friends, including the girl that was witch to my martian in fourth grade, Dona Bow.

All in all, a pretty good year.  If only I didn't have to end it in prison.

Oh, well.

No plan is perfect!

Until next time,

T.M. Strait

P.S. - For those of you concerned, every December 31st I have to do an inventory of a commissary  of a nearby prison facility.  I should be out in a few hours.

At least. that's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment