Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Special Tuesday Moanings Edition of Monday Musings

Oy.  The little break is over.  Time to hoof it back to work.

We just stayed at home.  A trip to church on Sunday, and a little shopping and a meal out Saturday night.  That's it.  It felt good to be at home.

Benjamin's last day of 6th grade was Friday. He ended it in style with a slight altercation with another boy.  Ended the school year isolated at his desk, his head down.  I'm not sure completely what went on, but I am not too upset with him. Even though the boy hit him, Benjamin just raised a finger, but it was a digit that the teacher, just returning form somewhere else, noticed.    The last day of school is a little bit like the Wild, Wild West.

I spent three and half hours Saturday mowing the yard.  We made the brilliant decision to sell the riding lawn mower along with the Clark Road house, and it takes me awhile to mow Glenwood with my little push mower.  I start out with as much enthusiasm as I can muster but by the third hour my mind is numb, and it takes a day or so for my hand to stop vibrating.

I saw only one movie over the break, but it was a very good one.  The Cabin In The Woods, a movie produced and co-written by Joss Whedon (Buffy, The Avengers), was a gorgeous send up of horror movies and their cliches. Both Alison and I enjoyed it.

We had our last Sunday School class until September.  I am going to miss it tremendously.  I love being able to talk to people about religious philosophy, issues and concerns.  And our adult class is probably like none other in Southeast Georgia.  Most of our year has been focused on DVD presentations and books by Rob Bell, a pastor of a mega-church in Michigan.  He is a great speaker and writer, and makes you think about many things.

As I believe and was reminded of a lot on Facebook, Monday was not about grilling, it was about remembering the sacrifice that fallen soldiers had made.  And I certainly did that throughout the day, via posts and things I read, prayers I made.  But....there was also grilling.  We fired up ours and cooked some magnificent rib-eye steaks, along with a big ol' baked potato and some roasted vegetables.

But now that is done, and work once again looms.  This is a time of year where sometimes things slow, but not this year.  I have many assignments before me, so I will have plenty to do.  That's okay.  A busy day passes more quickly than an idle day.  And starting on Tuesday makes the next weekend that much closer.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment