Thursday, May 23, 2013

Table Pop

I sat at the table.

As I slid into place, the red vinyl covering the booth seat made farting noises.

The table had not been cleaned off.  She had been there just before me.

I could see the pool of cherry pop she had split, disrupting the flow of the blue and green marbled Formica table top.

I could not stop myself.  I put my face into the pop, and started to lick it.  It was a cherry red liquid that she had been drinking from.  How could I not taste it?  How could I not imagine that it tasted a bit like her?

The waitress came right then.  She looked at me like I was a toddler who had just dropped a deuce in the tub.  She told me someone would be there right away to clean the table up.  I tried to assure her that there was no need.

I looked across the table and she was there.  Pretty blond hair, achingly deep blue eyes, pouty full red lips.  She was breaking up with me.  The friend speech.  I did not want to listen to that again.

I looked at the booth on the other side, and I was there with her, along with my brother and his girl.  A blind date, an accident, whatever it was, it felt like magic.  There we were laughing, already sinking into her eyes, her soul.  I made her laugh.  She made me smile.

I turn back to my table, and she is there.  And we talk for hours and tell each other absolutely every thing.  Nothing is left out.  Why hide anything from your soul mate, your one true companion in life.

I look outside and we are leaning on my car.  I kiss her for the very first time, and the county fireworks  begin.  Or at least it felt like it did.  Our very beings were bleeding into each other.  I could feel her bare back as I slipped my hand underneath her shirt. I didn't want to stop.

I turn once again to my table, and she is not there.  I am alone.  Truly and completely alone,

She had been there minutes ago.  With another man.  A new love.  I had been thrown away.

I waved the waitress with the cleaning rag away,

All I had left was a pool of cherry pop, that which was still left after my tasting.

I was going to keep it as long as I could.

What else was left?


1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha!!! not in a funny way, an excited woohoo! way ~ my laugh is joy, joy of having read something very good!

    ReplyDelete