Saturday, June 8, 2013

Political Roots Saturday Political Soap Box 66

My opinions are my own.  They are the result of my own analysis and evaluation, and are not derived from any individual or any particular set of writings.


What a crock.


We are all influenced by others in our lives.  The values that our parents and ancestors have effects our values and beliefs.  Those whom we grow up with and communicate with shape our opinions, whether we care to admit it or not.

My father and his family were progressives.  They weren't hippies or radical or counter-cultural.  They just always had an instinct of what's fair and decent, that people should be treated equally and fairly, that you should get a fair day's wages for a hard day's work, that unbridled wealth and power should always be checked and counterbalanced, that taxes were good if they went to schools and roads and community services, that those less fortunate should be helped by those more fortunate.

Being a farm family, they originally supported the presidential runs of William Jennings Bryan, a passionate defender of the rural farmer and the average working man, and a politician who was almost pacifistic in his view of foreign affairs and military involvement.  They voted for Teddy Roosevelt when he ran as a third party candidate, under the Bull-moose banner.  By the time of FDR, they were solidly in the Democratic camp.

My Dad did vote for Eisenhower in 1952, but did not vote for him again in 1956.  I asked him why and he told me, "Son, I try not to make the same mistake twice."

During the 1972 election, I was still too young to vote, but I actively campaigned for George McGovern, someone whom I consider to be one of the finest political figures of my lifetime.  I was able to persuade all of my voting age family on both sides to vote for McGovern.  It is a vote and a campaign that I am still very proud of to this day.  It was a big wake up call to me on politics, as I remember that many around knew that Nixon was a crook, and that McGovern was a decent man, but voted for Nixon anyway.

My father was the second one in my family to talk up Barack Obama (my son Benjamin was the first). He recognized that Obama's multi-cultural background, incredible intelligence, calm decision making skills, and common sense approach would help make him the best available person to lead the country. And he was right.  Unfortunately, we all underestimated the level of vitriol and passionate hatred that would exude from the other side, people who would oppose him even when he endorsed positions that they had previously held.

My father was an extremely hard working individual.  Nobody I knew put in longer hours and worked harder than he did.  He was a gifted educator, who was a phenomenal teacher and then first-class school administrator.  He dressed and behaved conservatively.  He did not drink or smoke or carouse in any way.  He never took a hand out from anybody.  When I qualified to receive a State Merit scholarship, he refused to fill out the paper work, as he wanted us to do it on our own. He was devoted to his job, and he loves his family.  Even though we didn't always go to church, no one taught me more about what it really means to be a Christian than my father.

So I have learned through him that living a personally conservative lifestyle is perfectly compatible with intensely liberal politics.  You can be a devoted family person, hard working, not overindulge, be a Christian, and also be a political progressive.  In fact, for me, it makes the most sense of all.

I love my Dad, and I am glad that I have inherited his politics.

1 comment: